Is an AV or a Firewall necessary on a Mac?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AlphaOmega2010

I used to have a PC laptop and downloaded a free AV and FW, as well as a Spyware scanner. But since I got a Mac I've been told by tutors that an AV is useless on a Mac since the viruses are written for PCs. Do I still needs to install an AV, FW and Spyware scanner on my new Mac?
(Sorry for such a newbie qt)

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Your tutors clearly don't know what they're talking about. While it's true, due to the relative footprints of Windows- and Mac-based PCs, that malware is more prevalent on the former, it's utter garbage to suggest Macs aren't hit with malware. Here's a recent example of why you should be careful.

I would definitely recommend protecting yourself adequately.

AlphaOmega2010

Your tutors clearly don't know what they're talking about. While it's true, due to the relative footprints of Windows- and Mac-based PCs, that malware is more prevalent on the former, it's utter garbage to suggest Macs aren't hit with malware. Here's a recent example of why you should be careful.

I would definitely recommend protecting yourself adequately.
Thanks for the warning. In that case, what AV and FW combo would you recommend for a Mac, and do I need anti-malware as well?

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There's a free versions of Avast for Mac, which I would recommend for you. I haven't tested firewalls on that platform, so I'll leave it to others to add their opinions.

TerryNet

Terry
You don't need any antivirus for Mac.
False.

While the risk is much lower than with Windows, and I would not bother with an anti-virus on MAC (just as I do not use one on any Linux distribution nor on iOS), it is irresponsible to say that there is no risk.

See lochlomonder's post # 2.

AlphaOmega2010

There's a free versions of Avast for Mac, which I would recommend for you. I haven't tested firewalls on that platform, so I'll leave it to others to add their opinions.
I just downloaded Avast free to try it out, and during the install it asked if I want to activate a bunch of other stuff. 1) Avast Passwords, 2) Avast VPN, and 3) Avast Safe shopping. Are these needed, and can I get by without them? I already have Hola VPN installed, so I'm assuming that there will be a conflict between these two at least if I do activate.

You totally need some protection on a Mac my younger cousin has a Macbook air that got infected recently so I went over and installed Malwarebytes and got it all cleaned up. I also have a friend who works for Apple and she does tech support for Mac computers and laptops and she says that you absolutely need something and what she recommends is always installing Malwarebytes and she said that should be good enough.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online