1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is an AV or a Firewall necessary on a Mac?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by AlphaOmega2010, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlphaOmega2010

AlphaOmega2010 Thread Starter

I used to have a PC laptop and downloaded a free AV and FW, as well as a Spyware scanner. But since I got a Mac I've been told by tutors that an AV is useless on a Mac since the viruses are written for PCs. Do I still needs to install an AV, FW and Spyware scanner on my new Mac?
    (Sorry for such a newbie qt)

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Your tutors clearly don't know what they're talking about. While it's true, due to the relative footprints of Windows- and Mac-based PCs, that malware is more prevalent on the former, it's utter garbage to suggest Macs aren't hit with malware. Here's a recent example of why you should be careful.

I would definitely recommend protecting yourself adequately.

AlphaOmega2010 likes this.
  3. AlphaOmega2010

Thanks for the warning. In that case, what AV and FW combo would you recommend for a Mac, and do I need anti-malware as well?

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

There's a free versions of Avast for Mac, which I would recommend for you. I haven't tested firewalls on that platform, so I'll leave it to others to add their opinions.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    False.

While the risk is much lower than with Windows, and I would not bother with an anti-virus on MAC (just as I do not use one on any Linux distribution nor on iOS), it is irresponsible to say that there is no risk.

See lochlomonder's post # 2.

6. AlphaOmega2010

I just downloaded Avast free to try it out, and during the install it asked if I want to activate a bunch of other stuff. 1) Avast Passwords, 2) Avast VPN, and 3) Avast Safe shopping. Are these needed, and can I get by without them? I already have Hola VPN installed, so I'm assuming that there will be a conflict between these two at least if I do activate.

7. bbgarnett

bbgarnett

You totally need some protection on a Mac my younger cousin has a Macbook air that got infected recently so I went over and installed Malwarebytes and got it all cleaned up. I also have a friend who works for Apple and she does tech support for Mac computers and laptops and she says that you absolutely need something and what she recommends is always installing Malwarebytes and she said that should be good enough.

8. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

I recommend not installing them and sticking purely to the anti-malware element. You'll get by fine without them.

AlphaOmega2010 likes this.
  9. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213393

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice