Is an SSD worth it in my case ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

franicelcha

Hi folks

I have a motherboard that only has Serial ATA 3GB/s connectors for hard drives.

I know that connecting a 6GB/s SSD as a boot drive would work but was wondering if it would be worth the expense ? I know that running a 6GB/s SSD on a 3GB/s port will impair the SSD speed somewhat. I have a C2D Intel 6800 processor with 8GB of 1333 Kingston Ram. Running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Would I experience noticeable speed improvement ? I do not want to spend the money if the upgrade would hardly change anything at all.

Thanks for your help.

Ssd's have come way down in price, u can get a 120 gig drive (to use as a boot drive) for a little over 40 bucks then use the mechanical drives for storage etc
And yes it will be worth it......not as fast as if u had 6gb ports....but still a big improvement..

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I have a motherboard that only has Serial ATA 3GB/s connectors for hard drives
What's the brand name and model number of that motherboard?
I have a C2D Intel 6800 processor
There is no such processor model as an Intel Core 2 Duo 6800.
Advise its exactly description or submit a webpage link for it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

franicelcha

What's the brand name and model number of that motherboard?

There is no such processor model as an Intel Core 2 Duo 6800.
Advise its exactly description or submit a webpage link for it.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Intel Dual Core E6800
Motherboard Asus P5P43TD/USB3

managed

Allan
The OS will boot up faster and things like AV scans and installing Windows Updates will also speed up noticeably.

In short anything that uses the HDD intensively will be faster on an SSD, even if it's using a Sata 3.0 GB/s port.

Last edited:

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Even basic things like opening a program or installing a patch take less time. After using SSD's in all my computers I can never go back.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Intel Dual Core E6800
Motherboard Asus P5P43TD/USB3
Intel Pentium E6800 3.33 GHz dual core processor
It has a front-side bus speed of 1066 MHz and has an average benchmark score of 2032.
ASUS P5P43TD/USB3 motherboard
It supports a maximum of 16 GB of DDR3-1333 RAM, and its SATA hard drive ports are rated at 3 Gb/s.

Because your computer is running the most system-hungry version of Windows 7 there is with the processor that's in it, you should remove unneeded Windows components and keep the number of running processes as low as you can.
The combination of both should improve speed and snappiness.

I've never used a solid state hard drive, so I can't provide any input on how better they perform, compared to a SATA hard drive.

------------------------------------------------------------

franicelcha

Intel Pentium E6800 3.33 GHz dual core processor
It has a front-side bus speed of 1066 MHz and has an average benchmark score of 2032.
ASUS P5P43TD/USB3 motherboard
It supports a maximum of 16 GB of DDR3-1333 RAM, and its SATA hard drive ports are rated at 3 Gb/s.

Because your computer is running the most system-hungry version of Windows 7 there is with the processor that's in it, you should remove unneeded Windows components and keep the number of running processes as low as you can.
The combination of both should improve speed and snappiness.

I've never used a solid state hard drive, so I can't provide any input on how better they perform, compared to a SATA hard drive.

------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your input

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
FYI ....
I have a SSD in an older XP system .... (2.4ghz CPU - SATA 3 )
I don't care about bootup time, as long as the computer is running by the time I pour my coffee :D ....
But I love how fast heavy programs like Photoshop start up.
All my personal data is in separate HDDs, so it doesn't take a large a SDD

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online