1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is any compound applied to core2duos or core2quads as standard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crEA-tEch, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crEA-tEch

crEA-tEch Thread Starter

Is any compound applied to core2duos or core2quads as standard?

My friend insists he had it applied to the cpu from the box.

Im confused, as i know that sometimes the heatsink and fans come with it as standard, but not cpus?

As i have orderd artic silver for my new pc, with a big heatsink and fan purchased too.. will i have to remove the compound from off the chip?

Nick

2. crEA-tEch

crEA-tEch Thread Starter

Also.. (sorry!).. if there is a thermal pad on the cpu, how easy is it to get off before use? is it a case of picking it off with your nails before i put the artic silver on there?

Thanks again!

Nick

3. crEA-tEch

crEA-tEch Thread Starter

Bump! (so sorry)

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

It just rubs right off...you could use a rag and isopropyl alcohol. Then put on a thin layer of arctic silver.

5. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

The thermal pad comes attached to the heatsink, not the CPU.

This link gives you instructions on how to apply arctic silver to your Intel CPU.
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2intelas5.html

Core 2s do come with a black protective cap that has to be removed before you install the chip. Don't forget to take that off.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647395

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice