1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is anything salvageable?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Timex747, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Timex747

Timex747 Thread Starter

Yesterday I turned on my computer and heard a loud pop. The power supply (Antec) is dead and the motherboard. Is it likely that the RAM, video card and processor are OK? I don't have another motherboard (socket 939) to test the parts.

I guess I can't complain about the PS, it lasted 5 yrs, but I wish I'd gotten a warning that it was going to fail, before it took out my motherboard. Even though my computer was old, it did the job.

Thanks in advance.

Sue

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

I had a power supply blow and even catch fire when I wiggled the power cord.
    It still protected the hardware and everything else was fine.
    Are you sure the motherboard is bad?
    I just changed power supplies and booted it up.

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Without testing it is hard to say, its possible that they have survived OK but its also possible that they are dead.

4. Timex747

Timex747 Thread Starter

Both are dead. I had another PS to test the MB. Nothing happens. :(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975646

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice