Is bad boot sectored drive redeemable?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pradhan

I just replaced my system drive with a new drive. The old drive was clearly failing. It seemed obvious that the drive's system file allocations were all screwed up. You could hear the drive struggling to read those sectors. Sometimes it wouldn't boot. Often it would go through a half hour of re-allocating orphaned files, re-writing...etc....but eventually it would boot.

My question is, now that I have a new happy system drive, is the old drive redeemable for data at all? It never had a problem writing data, just booting. Save for at boot time, it runs silently. Chkdsk? Low level format? Can it still be safely used to store data or for backup?

Thanks,
Pradhan

DoubleHelix

Banned
No. The drive is shot. If you want to use it, you risk losing any data you put on it at any time.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online