1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is Building PCs Still Worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Clue.07, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Clue.07

Clue.07 Thread Starter

I want to make money from building custom PCs and selling them on via eBay, newspaper advertisements and so on, but I'm wondering if building PCs is still a good way of making money? I know that a couple of years back it used to be, but now companies seem to be able to offer pretty high-spec machines for very cheap. So what I'm asking is, is it still a good way to make profit?

2. IHateMyEiSystem

IHateMyEiSystem

sell drugs instead

3. Compaq__

Compaq__

It's tough making money that way anymore. Even the big companies have a tough time making money on them because it is such a competitive market.

The other issues is technical support. People buy a PC and then when they have a problem, they want to call you and have you fix it for free (at least for the first year).

If you want to try it, go for it! You might be successful! But for me, I'd rather not.

4. Clue.07

Clue.07 Thread Starter

I went on eBay earlier and did a search for custom builds. I noticed a guy who was selling custom PCs, and after working out how much it cost him to build the PC against how much he sells it for, the difference was only £10. Not very profitable at all.

5. Compaq__

Compaq__

Some people seem to be able to get cheap parts and make a few bucks but it's just not worth the hassle to me. It would be fun to do if you could make some money at it though.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

Unless you have established clientele who want upscale machines you'll be sadly disappointed. Also, there is no way you can compete in the "el cheapo" market, and that market will cause you nothing but aggravation.

7. Oily

Oily

If your only going to make £10 a PC :eek:,it's defiantly not worth it...

And I agree with Compaq_ it seems to be getting increasingly harder to make money from building PC's and the warranty service can be the killer.

Building for yourself seems to be the only satisfaction there is.

8. Clue.07

Clue.07 Thread Starter

I guess then, that the best way to make money for yourself through having some hardware knowledge is to offer repairs?

9. Compaq__

Compaq__

Yep...but then friends and family want help and I always feel bad charging them....:(

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes that's how to do it. You can't even sell them on eBay for what they cost you. If you have a clientèle then you can probably build and sell later as an adjunct to the repair business.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice