Is coil whine a heat issue?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

agent_washingtub

I've got an annoying high pitched sound that comes from my graphics card (I think) whenever I play a game with mid-high graphics requirements. Now, I've read a bit about the subject, and have come to understand that the noise is caused by vibrations. Also, based on what I've read, it is unfixable.

My question is this. If coil whine is NOT heat related, when why does opening the side of my pc up and putting a fan on it stop the noise? Understand, this is a powerful commercial grade fan, but if there is bad coil whine coming out and I put the fan on it, it takes about a minute to stop.

I'm really just trying to understand this issue properly, so I can begin to work out a solution.
Right now the best one is: keep a big ass fan blowing on it.

Any thoughts?

Is it the fan that is making the noise??
The hotter it gets the faster it has to speed up
When u point your fan at it with the side panel removed it it is cooling the video card so the card fan doesn't have to work as hard
Is the graphic card under warranty?

agent_washingtub

I have manually stopped the fans on the card, the sound is unaffected.
And no, I'm pretty sure the warranty is up.

agent_washingtub

Giving up. Keeping commercial fan permanently attached to rig. It's Noisy , but still better than that whine.

Last edited by a moderator:

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
'Coil whine' is caused by the frequency of an AC current running through a coil causing resonance in the component the coil is in, could be a transformer or an inductance etc. A possible cure is covering the coil with glue but that could be a fire risk if the coil gets hot in normal use. The PSU is a likely place for the guilty component.

Another possible cause is if the PC case itself is causing some or all of the whine, try pressing on the case at various points to see if the whine volume is affected.

As the external fan seems to help you may have something else causing the noise, if so then strictly speaking it isn't coil whine.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online