Solved Is Connected Devices Platform User Service_ad763 safe?

Al_Ciao

I periodically check my Task Manager and noticed Service Host: Connected Devices Platform User Service_ad763 running in the background, and never have before. Googling shows that a connected devices platform user service is legit Microsoft, but the specific ending _ad763 doesn't show up at all in searches, which is a touch concerning.

I'm sure it's nothing, but I figure better safe than sorry. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8183 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 919 GB (421 GB Free); D: 1862 GB (707 GB Free); E: 11 GB (1 GB Free);
Motherboard: FOXCONN, ALOE
Antivirus: Avira Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Your log is an outdated version (1.0.0.4), so please do the following in your computer so it will display accurate and current information:

Download and save the tsginfo.exe file.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your computer will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

-----------------------------------------------

Al_Ciao

Your log is an outdated version (1.0.0.4), so please do the following in your computer so it will display accurate and current information:

Download and save the tsginfo.exe file.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your computer will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

-----------------------------------------------
Oh okay. Here's the updated log.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20191104183156.000000-300
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 919 GB (421 GB Free); D: 1862 GB (707 GB Free); E: 11 GB (1 GB Free);
Motherboard: FOXCONN ALOE, ver 1.01
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver HPQOEM - 20100122, s/n MXX0180HS2

Googling shows that a connected devices platform user service is legit Microsoft, but the specific ending _ad763 doesn't show up at all in searches, which is a touch concerning
You don't have to worry about service name suffix which is called LUID ( locally unique identifier ).

These are not unique on different computers, the suffix (LUID) might change at any time on your PC (ex. Windows update, login, logout etc...), tomorrow you might see it called something else, it's normal thing.

When searching google just omit that string.

Several other services have this random string (LUID), these are all "user services".

When the user signs out, the per-user service is removed.
they are displayed using the <service name>_LUID format (where LUID is the locally unique identifier).
For more information see:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/application-management/per-user-services-in-windows

Al_Ciao

You don't have to worry about service name suffix which is called LUID ( locally unique identifier ).

These are not unique on different computers, the suffix (LUID) might change at any time on your PC (ex. Windows update, login, logout etc...), tomorrow you might see it called something else, it's normal thing.

When searching google just omit that string.

Several other services have this random string (LUID), these are all "user services".

For more information see:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/application-management/per-user-services-in-windows
Okay, thank you!

One more thing. Why is there a Connected Devices service running at all? I don't have any other connected devices to my PC, unless it means a speaker system or something of that nature.

I don't have any other connected devices to my PC , unless it means a speaker system or something of that nature.
It's for sure not the speakers.

The service is responsible for secure communication between devices:
The Connected Devices Platform Service Protocol provides a way for devices such as PC's and smartphones to discover and send messages between each other. It provides a transport-agnostic means of building connections among all of a user's devices and allows them to communicate over a secure protocol. There are multiple ways for users to authenticate and when authentication is successful, the two devices can communicate over any available transport.
It doesn't have to be physical device, it can also be cloud device:
It provides a transport-agnostic means of building connections among all of a user's devices, whether available through the cloud or through direct physical presence.
To understand what is meant by "Cloud device" do this:
1. Sign in to your work or school account, and then go to the My Account (https://myaccount.microsoft.com/) page.
2. Select Devices from the left navigation pane or select the Manage devices link from the Devices block.
3. Review the information for your connected devices, making sure you recognize them all.

This are your cloud devices listed there if any.

If you're sure there are no cloud or physical devices connected to your PC, feel free to disable "Connected Devices Platform Service" because it serves no purpose in your case.

However in the future if you want to use this protocol you'll have to enable this service back.

References, read following links if you want to understand more:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/op...s/ms-cdp/f5a15c56-ac3a-48f9-8c51-07b2eadbe9b4
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/op...s/ms-cdp/da780a95-4b15-4300-8bb9-5da11b9514ab
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/user-help/my-account-portal-devices-page

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20191104183156.000000-300
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti, 1024 MB
Motherboard: FOXCONN ALOE, ver 1.01
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver HPQOEM - 20100122, s/n MXX0180HS2
You appear to have a HP brand computer, but I'm not able to confirm its description because its support site is down for maintenance.
We also don't know its product number and serial number and what Windows version it originally came with.

Your computer is running Version 1903 Build 18362 which appears to have been installed about 6 months after its release in May 2019.
Version 1909 Build 18363 was released in November 2019.
Version 2004 Build 19041 was released in May 2020.
Version 2010 Build 19042 is scheduled to be released in November 2020.

Your computer is using a third-party antivirus app (Avira) instead of using its built-in antivirus app (Windows Security).
Windows 10 can have various issues when using a third-party antivirus app, so it's generally recommended not to install and use one.

Your computer has almost 500 GB of used space in its primary C: drive.
Unless it's loaded with personal data, that much used space equates to a lot of installed apps and a lot of running processes.

Your computer has a pretty decent graphics card, but it has a weak processor.
That's going to affect speed and performance and make it work harder.
cpu.JPG gpu.JPG
(click each image to enlarge and view)

I know all this has nothing to do with what you said in post #1, but I feel you should be aware of it.

--------------------------------------------------

Al_Ciao

It's for sure not the speakers.

The service is responsible for secure communication between devices:

It doesn't have to be physical device, it can also be cloud device:

To understand what is meant by "Cloud device" do this:
1. Sign in to your work or school account, and then go to the My Account (https://myaccount.microsoft.com/) page.
2. Select Devices from the left navigation pane or select the Manage devices link from the Devices block.
3. Review the information for your connected devices, making sure you recognize them all.

This are your cloud devices listed there if any.

If you're sure there are no cloud or physical devices connected to your PC, feel free to disable "Connected Devices Platform Service" because it serves no purpose in your case.

However in the future if you want to use this protocol you'll have to enable this service back.

References, read following links if you want to understand more:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/op...s/ms-cdp/f5a15c56-ac3a-48f9-8c51-07b2eadbe9b4
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/op...s/ms-cdp/da780a95-4b15-4300-8bb9-5da11b9514ab
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/user-help/my-account-portal-devices-page
I don't have a Microsoft account, and definitely don't have any devices connected to it.

I'm on my private home wi-fi, and the only other device that uses that wi-fi is my ipad. My phone is an Android, but isn't connected to the wi-fi or synced with my computer or anything like that. Checking my wi-fi admin page, there are no other devices connected to my wi-fi, so it shouldn't be anything related to my wi-fi.

I guess I'm just concerned about whether this could be some potential hack over the internet.

You appear to have a HP brand computer, but I'm not able to confirm its description because its support site is down for maintenance.
We also don't know its product number and serial number and what Windows version it originally came with.
HPE-210y, originally came with Windows 7 Home, but I upgraded to Windows 10 last November or December.

Your computer has almost 500 GB of used space in its primary C: drive.
Unless it's loaded with personal data, that much used space equates to a lot of installed apps and a lot of running processes.
It's all personal data and video games, both of which I have a lot of. I've pruned my hard drive multiple times over the years, lol.

Your computer has a pretty decent graphics card, but it has a weak processor.
That's going to affect speed and performance and make it work harder.
Yeah, I upgraded the graphics card in 2012, as well as the power supply so it could support the card (got a friend to install both), but it's still using the original processor. I eventually plan to get a new computer, but despite being 10 years old there's still plenty of life in this one.

I know all this has nothing to do with what you said in post #1, but I feel you should be aware of it.
Thanks!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You're welcome. :)

I'll leave you with zebanovich. (y)

-------------------------------------------------

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online