1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is DDR2 an excellent memory?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by amit1986, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amit1986

amit1986 Thread Starter

Hello Guys,
    I have recently joined this forum just beacuse of some issues which are colliding in my mind..
    Actually I want to know that Is DDR2 an excellent memory for automotive and industrial to server, consumer, networking, and computing?

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

DDR2 is the older form of memory, You can now get DDR3 which is better in pretty much every way. It is faster, cheaper and cooler running. DDR2 for a server has to be a proper server type RAM which I believe is called Buffered RAM. Unless you know what you are putting this RAM into I can't really advise on what to buy.

3. amit1986

amit1986 Thread Starter

Actually friends I asked because my cousin wants to sell RAM and wants to deal in bulk .Recently he singed a contract as a dealer from Zipmem and he suggested me put up the question related to that on forum..That was why i did..

4. adam3088

adam3088

Regular DDR2 is not 'excellent' for any of those tasks, for one it's outdated and so will be unusable in new PC's.
    It's also becoming more expensive then DDR3 due to lack of production, in the same way regular DDR is even more expensive due to the low need for it (or was anyway, not actually checked current prices on that one).
    Server RAM also uses ECC (error correction code) which standard consumer memory does not have.
    It still has uses, but not sure if you'd want to deal it in bulk.

5. tkwincru

tkwincru

Adam 3088 Has the right Idea. Although DDR2 still has some life in it, if you are going to be selling it as a reseller, you will want to carry both as many people look to upgrade components versus the whole system. A $50 component is better on the pocketbook than a $400 value computer you will have to upgrade later. With that said, when looking to build, DDR3 is the way to go as mentioned it is cheaper right now, and you can put a lot more in newer systems. It also runs at faster speeds.

6. amit1986

amit1986 Thread Starter

yes tkwincru You are right.You have deep knowledge about RAMs...I appreciate for your reply..Actually I put up the question because one of my cousin's clients was asking for DDR2.Where as i know DDR3 is now on better position than DDR2..Although its up to customer demand .And Yes,DDR2 is rare than DDR3..

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!