1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is DDR2 memory backwards compatable?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DCM1519, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

If you put DDR2 667 memory in a motherboard designed for DDR2 533, will it still work?

2. KingCody

KingCody

yes

667 is the fastest that it is rated to run at, it will run at all speeds lower than that including 533

unless you're planning to overclock, then there's no reason to spend the extra money on thr faster RAM because it will still run at 533

3. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

KingCody

Thanks for the response. The reason I was asking is that the slower memory is almost as expensive as the fast memory and I figured that if I wanted to upgrade a motherboard later, I would already have fast memory.

4. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Some mobo's can be picky about ram speed so watch out for that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/481568

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice