1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is Dell lying to me?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Futomimi7, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Futomimi7

Futomimi7 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Studio XPS 9100 running Windows 7. I bought it back in 2010. Periodically it would crash on me. It only did it every 3-6 months so I ignored it. But recently it froze on me twice in a row. I just recently paid for a warranty extension so I was like 'Golly Gee it's a good thing I just got that warranty.' and I called Dell.

After the crashes, I would always look in the system and security section of control panel. According to the control panel it was caused by:

'Component: PCI Express Root Port
    Error Source Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Bus: Device: Function: 0x0:0x7:0x0
    Vendor ID: Device ID: 0x8086:0x340e
    Class Code: 0x30400'

Then the event log said:

'Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller is disconnected from network.'

Initially I spoke with a hardware person at Dell. I told him the problem. First he had me unplug the power and all the peripherals from the back of the computer. Then he told me to hold down the power button for a really long time. He said it was to dissipate the static charge. Next he told me to plug everything back in.

Then he had me hit F12 and enter the boot menu and run diagnostics. I was watching it while it ran diagnostics (which I myself had done before) and it never mentions anything about checking the PCIe bus.'

Then he had me enter safe mode and in safe mode even though the problem was intermittant he goes 'Well it is not a hardware issue since it is working fine in safe mode' even though most the time it works fine normally and it is only an intermittent problem. Then he transfers me to the software group who goes 'Well it will cost you $120 for me to help you since it isn't a hardware issue.'

I need to know is Dell giving me the run around or am I nuts and is this a software problem?

2. Futomimi7

Futomimi7 Thread Starter

Oh and another thing I forgot to mention. Awhile back I got this malware I couldn't get rid of so I completely wiped my system and the problem of intermittent crashing with the same error reporting in event viewer happened before and after wiping. So if it was a software issue wouldn't wiping (and thereby reinstalling all drivers etc) solve the issue?

3. dai

dai

when you reinstalled windows did you run the m/board setup disk

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  5. Futomimi7

Futomimi7 Thread Starter

No I didn't. But I downloaded all the drivers from their various sites and installed that way.

6. dai

dai

dell comes with a driver disk with the chipset drivers on it are those the ones you d/loaded

with dell some can be proprietary and you need to install their driver

7. Futomimi7

Futomimi7 Thread Starter

Thank you for the guides. I looked through them but they didn't specifically address my issue. I'm still trying to ascern whether it is a hardware or software issue. It doesn't beep because it doesn't get the chance. It just freezes; it doesn't crash anymore.

My computer froze while I was in the middle of updating my BIOS <.<;;. It didn't seem to damage it and the BIOS updated alright.

8. Futomimi7

Futomimi7 Thread Starter

I got the Dell ones from their site so I got the most up to date.

9. Futomimi7

Futomimi7 Thread Starter

Ok some new stuff happened.

Computer froze and then I couldn't even get Windows to start. Then I, on a lark, completed the memory tests that the Dell Support person didn't finish (the forty minute long memory tests). The first time during either the Walking 1s and 0s or during the MATS test it froze and gave me this error code:

Error Code 0123
    msg: error code: 2000-0123
    msg: memory integrity test failed

Then I ran it again and it froze again but gave me this message:

Error Code 2000-0111
    msg: CPU 0: Invalid Opcode exception occured.

That was during the MATS test.

Then I ran it two more times and there was no error code. But the only way I can get into Windows is through Safe Mode.

I have no idea what is going on here. It seems to me to be hardware related, maybe the motherboard but it has been awhile since I took a couple computer repair classes so who knows lol. Maybe I should just give up and go buy an abacus.

10. dai

dai

11. Futomimi7

Futomimi7 Thread Starter

First of all because I didn't already say it, Thank you so much for helping me. I know it is the worst dealing with someone who knows just enough computer knowledge to be dangerous like me. I really appreciate your time.

As per the instructions on the code, I unseated and reseated my RAM. Then I ran the memtest one stick at a time. The memtests all passed. I am now able to get back into Windows w/out safe mode but it still freezes randomly. I am in the process of updating every driver I have. I would write this afterwards but I don't know when the comp. will freeze again and I can't type very fast on the iPad.

12. dai

dai

also check the event viewer and see if it lists anything at the time of the freeze

13. Futomimi7

Futomimi7 Thread Starter

It listed that the PCI Express Root Port had a corrected hardware error everytime it would crash (the previous once every three to six months problem). When the computer froze and I had to reboot, there was no error report except that I rebooted the system (no dumps or info provided as to why the computer froze).

I think I was looking at the freezes and crashes as one incident when it could have been two related or unrelated incidents.

I updated every driver I could and now the system seems to be stable. It doesn't seem to freeze anymore. I restarted the computer multiple times since I updated them and no problem. I can't tell if it is going to crash anymore (the possible PCI Express Root Port Issue) since that is a rarer occurance. I am going to wait four or five days and if there is no reccurance mark the problem solved.

Thank you so much for your help. I probably jinxed myself by saying it seems to be resolved.

14. dai

dai

wait and see how it goes for a few days

15. dai

dai

victthoe

formatting for that reason you need to do a low level format,to ensure you get rid of it

the normal format can leave it behind and check everything you reinstall before installing to make sure it is not infected

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice