1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is Dr. Phil really right about divorced couples that remarry?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by hotskates, Sep 19, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

O.K. Dr. Phil says that people who have been divorced and remarry have a 5% success rate for their new marriage. I can't believe its that low. What do you guys think? I have a friend that just divorced (NO its not me) and is ready to marry her new guy (also divorced). Should I tell her the odds? I know lots of people remarried are still together, Like 10 to 15 yrs later.
    Sounds too low to me?

2. Mulderator

Mulderator

Dr. Phil is full of it. The divorce rate is higher for second marriages, but it is certainly not 95%.

3. KeithKman

KeithKman

I say it very possible.

4. jimi

jimi

mulder got it right
    Keith you are 15 you don't know squat about marriage - don't give me "but my parents" if thats where you are coming from, you must experience it

5. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

Dr. Phil's % is ridiculous to me! (n) Maybe he means the couples who come to HIM for counseling! :)

Some facts I found:

Do You Know? Stepfamily Facts and Statistics

60% of all first marriages end in divorce

About 75% of divorced persons remarry

About 40% of all marriages are remarriages for one of the adults

About 65% of remarriages involve children from the prior marriage

60% of all remarriages eventually end in divorce

By the year 2010, it is estimated that there will be more stepfamilies than nuclear families

1 out of 3 Americans is now a stepparent, a stepchild, a stepsibling, or some other member of a stepfamily

More than half of Americans today have been, are now or will be in one or more stepfamily situations in their lives.

Take care! angel

6. Wino

Wino

Anyone have statistics for 3rd, 4th, 5th marriages!:D

7. angelize56

Why don't you tell us Wino! :D

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

The statistics would say that you are un-marriable..... (is that a word :D where's that grammar thread when I need it :D )

That many people can't be wrong :D

9. angelize56

Candy: Just make the word unmarriable and it is a proper word! :)

10. clskrk

clskrk

Out of everyone we know or associate with, not one couple has been married as long as we have. (y)
    Is there something wrong with us? :confused:

11. Wino

Wino

Angel - looking for more than my statistics - heck I'm 100%! ;)

Aca....Ya think!!!

Took splitting everything several times before it dawned on me I wasn't meant for marriage! Never could get the hang of going home every night. Biggest problem was going to the wrong house after a night of drinking - funny thing was, they usually had been partying too and we forgot we weren't married any longer until we sobered up in the morning - made for some interesting, albeit stilted, conversation at the breakfast table!:D

12. angelize56

^ You devil you! :D *wink wink*

13. KeithKman

KeithKman

yea, I wouldnt know...my parents have been married 19 years.

My mom's parents have been married 52 years. wOOt!

14. lora_3677

lora_3677

MAN!! I need that stinking book! I took a Marriage and Family class while in college the second time (second time in college, not second marriage. lol) and the statistics for the 3,4,5,6 marriages did have a greater percentage to fail, but not THAT extreme.

Personally... I think as a society we have allowed ourselves to start giving up and ending it rather than trying to make it work. Don't get me wrong, there are situations where the couple NEEDS to divorce (abuse, neglect, etc.), but I also know of several couples who just got tired of each other, so they split.

I think the percenteages for 2,3,4,5,and so on are greater because once you give up once, it is easier the second time. It's like that with anything in life. Once you fall short of what you originally planned, it's easier to let yourself down the next time.

I'm 26, I've been married 8 years (married at 18, which by the way also puts me in a high risk category for divorce by 'statistics').

My husband and I went through alot of crap with his parent's divorce, which happened 2 years after we were married (empty nest syndrome is my conclusion on that.. his mom didn't have a child to nurture and she had always had that throughout their entire marriage since her oldest daughter was 2 from a previous boyfriend when she married my husband's father).

When we had been married 4 1/2 years, we went through 6 months of hell. We fought constantly, we didn't trust each other, we got to the point where neither of us cared. I cried most of the time... even with friends and family telling me to leave him, I stuck it out. Because I knew that we were both growing as individuals and we had to find a way to grow back together as a couple at the end of that. We are closer now than we were ever before.

The bottomline is this.... if you want it to work and you are determined to make it work, then it will. If you can take the down times you will be stronger for it. The whole time when people were telling me to leave him, my heart told me that if I left I had failed myself and I don't like to fail and I rarely do fail to accomplish my goals , I was stronger than that, our love was stronger than that.

My parents have been married 44 years this December. Both of my grandparents were married until 'death do us part'.

15. deh

deh

All i know is this dude (Dr. Phil) has a diet book out but HE'S FAT! he might as well publish a manual on growing hair while he is at it. :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice