1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is Dragon Age Worth It?

Discussion in 'Games' started by gatewaypc700, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gatewaypc700

gatewaypc700 Thread Starter

So quite simply, if I loved infinity engine games, most notable the Baldur's Gate saga, will I love dragon age?

I want to play that type of game on a more modern engine. So is Dragon Age what I'm looking for? It has been called the "Spiritual Successor" but I want to know from people who have actually played it before I go and pay 60 bucks for it ;)

2. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    Liking something is personal. For example...the single greatest game I have ever played was "Far Cry". Years later I'm still playing it. By now I know where everything is and still I enjoy it. Others panned it, hated it etc.
    Dragon Age and Awakening were both my type of games also, RPG's in the same vein as Baldurs Gate (which I also enjoyed). I agree, $60 is steep for something you're not sure of. I wish I could just transfer my copies of Dragon Age and Awakening to you to try out. Shop around, you may find it cheaper somewhere.

3. billy18

billy18

I would recommend it. My personal opinion about this game, it's such a good rpg. Although there's too much blood :p

4. gatewaypc700

The thing is I'm in New Zealand and the average price for a game here is about $60USD, or $100NZD. However dragon age is strange. The ultimate edition is only available off steam, not in stores, and the separate game and its expansion are very expensive. ($100NZD for the game, and another $60NZD for the expansion :/)

I guess the main thing that I really liked about BG was that you had full control over your npcs, but they still remained their own people (Minsc will lead with blade and boot, boo will take care of the details.....) That type of thing.

So I suppose a good question to ask would be do the npcs in dragon age have this character?

Thanks for your help so far :)

James

5. MMMMTOASTY

MMMMTOASTY

Never played BG before but yes, you can take full control of your npcs and if you don't like what they're doing then you can change their spell priorities incase a healer is wasting mana on damaging spells or your tank isn't prioritizing aggro. One thing to note is that DA is more strategic than other traditional rpgs, you have to experiment a bit and you'll often find yourself pausing the game to issue orders to your characters.

6. gatewaypc700

That in itself actually makes me cringe....

Why the hell would healers be the same class as a mage? Makes no sense. Healers should be clerics with divine, holy and healing magics only.

Otherwise a healer is pretty much a mage in armour, so why take a mage...

Thats what I really loved about the infinity engine is that all the classes had reasons for and against taking them. And there were sooo many classes!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice