1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is free space on a USB flash drive necessary?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ep-p-two, Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ep-p-two

ep-p-two Thread Starter

Does 5 - 10% of storage space on a USB flash drive need to remain free, as it does on a hard drive?

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

No !
    The free space recommendation for HD is just needed for moving files around to de-frag it.

Personally I would still leave about that anyway, just for updating files, which need enough space to write the new version before the old one is freed up.

3. renegade600

renegade600

free space is usually only for your c drive as temporary working space for some programs, for virtual memory, temporary files and other. It really does not make any difference for other drives whether it be harddrives or flash drives. .

4. DaveBurnett

I tell you what Dan, you try it your way and I'll stick to mine, but don't give bad advice to other people.

5. renegade600

renegade600

If there is something wrong with mine, tell me. Tell me if what I said is not why you have to leave free space on c drive??? how often do you have to defrag c drive when compared to others since c drive is always being used. come to think of it, a flash drive should never be defrag so there is no need to leave space. In fact defragging the flash drive will make it go bad faster because they have limited usage life. I am not the one giving bad advice.

http://ask-leo.com/should_i_defragment_my_usb_flash_drive.html

6. DaveBurnett

Try reading what I said not what you think I said.

7. renegade600

renegade600

You gave the impression that you can defrag a usb drive if you wanted to. Also, that is NOT the main reason you need to leave space on the harddrive. All I was doing was to clarify a little bit by adding a bit more info as to why you needed space on the harddrive. Sorry you could not see that...

this is my last post about this unless the original poster has other questions.

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I have had at least 3 dozen USB sticks; all different brands and sizes. I only wrecked one (and recovered it, thanks to the HP format tool) by trying to fit too much on it. I wasn;t paying attention to the size of something and it hiccuped during the copying of a file. I could then do nothing with the stick.
    I don't worry about letting 10% free. I have some very close to 100% full. But I am more careful about calculating what i can fit on.

But I also NEVER delete files from any of my sticks. For some reason, I thought that was bad. Today I went searching and discovered that if you delete, you don't claim the free space back. At least some were complaining about this.
    What I do with all my sticks (and even my external portable hard drives) is to MOVE the things I want removed from the stick/drive to the computer. I then erase those files. My stick/drive has back the space used by the file(s) and I can put new files on in the space gained.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This is not correct. Regardless of whether it is a system drive or not, a full hard disk is going to slow down compared to a hard disk with 20% or more free space. So yes, it does make a difference.
    In addition, a completely full hard drive is going to limit the drive controller's ability to mark/recover from bad sectors.

10. ep-p-two

ep-p-two Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. Lots to think about.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice