1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is ghostery of any use?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by mdp92, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdp92

mdp92 Thread Starter

I use chrome. i have the ABP extension. does it make any difference in the level of privacy or page load time if i choose to block 'web bugs' in ghostery ? have u guys used it? what r its pros and cons ?

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Let's start with the background.

When you load a page, your browser downloads a HTML file which tells it what to display.
    This file will contain all the text on the page, as well as some information ensuring it's formatted correctly.
    However some files, including pictures, are loaded separately. So the browser sees the code text for an image in the HTML and it inserts the image from the specified site.
    Web bugs are are invisible images or other files that are loaded from a different site.
    When your browser goes to collect them, that site then knows what page you've been on. It can therefore track your movements across the web wherever you visit a site that has their bug.

I don't use ghostery myself, but if it does what it says, it would prevent those sites from tracking you through their web bugs. I don't think there would be any noticeable difference in page load times.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1014979

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice