1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is HP Update a phishing lure?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by wpurdin, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wpurdin

wpurdin Thread Starter

About a week ago I got this popup from "HP Update" warning me that I needed to download critical security updates. So, like a fool, I clicked on the OK button. I was suspicious right away because the CANCEL button didn't work. After the download, my system slowed down. So I went to disk cleaner and it said I had 55 GBs of unnecessary files :eek:. After I deleted them, my system crashed. I called HP support and talked to a technician, who wasn't much help. I did a system restore and I thought I was back in business, but yesterday the same popup appeared. This time I Xed it out. I hasn't reappeared yet, but is there any way, I can get rid of it? My Avira program can't detect it and it's not listed as any program. It must be a hidden file. Also, this morning, my computer was running slow, so I rebooted and pressed F8 to go to Safe Mode and run CCleaner, but it started Windows normally. I was going to try again, but it seems to be working fast now. Could the slowdown be due to having four different programs running simultaneously?

Thanks

2. lakeman

lakeman

I have a question, as I have had reservations about HP Update on my new computer, and have wondered if it is detrimental to myself and my computer, and have wondered about disabling it. NOW MY BIG QUESTION, why has no one answered this gentlemans (or gentlelady's) posted question? I scan the forum looking for things of interest to myself, and find what I consider good questions posted, that never get an answer.

3. mha1

mha1

I have been using HP AIO's for the last 5 years, the first one only lasted 3 yrs. Only one time did the HP Update actually WORK and that was a couple months ago. Since then my system has been okay, but the printing function takes a lot longer than it did BEFORE the update. When I get time I will be un and reinstalling the whole thing all over again and NOT doing any updates. If I have any more problems with this HP, my next printer (historically, probably in about a year from now) will be ANOTHER BRAND!

4. DrDaM4n

DrDaM4n

I have an HP laptop and I don't have any of there pre-installed "software" on there. Fresh install of Windows and updated drivers, bios, ect. and haven't had a problem in over 2 years.

5. studentoflife

studentoflife

...but I really see no need for me to keep the HP Updater running ...my new C5180 is a beauty and I did turn on the automatic installer...thinking twice now....

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/666321