1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it a paperweight?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crespoh69, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crespoh69

crespoh69 Thread Starter

Hello everyone, I'm at my last levels of patience with this issue I'm having. My brother purchased a GPU a few months back on a new computer he was building, unfortunately it didn't seem compatible with this system as it would artifact like crazy so I took it and he took mine. Everything was great until about a month ago when it started to artifact for me as well, just small ones though. It bugged me though knowing that it was the GPU itself that was bad, so seeing as it still had a 3 yr warranty I decided to RMA it, I wish I had kept it instead and dealt with the small dead pixel looking artifacts.

Before I RMA'd it, I tried the latest drivers to no avail. The new one that arrived though, I wiped the old drivers clean using Driversweeper in safemode of the old GPU I was using in the meantime while I waited for the new GPU to arrive. I tried out my computer only to have LARGE artifacts, have my system freeze for a few seconds, the lower half of the screen artifact and then go back to the desktop. This happened with just about everything I did. I tried different drivers as well but that didn't help and starting up a game would immediately BSOD. I emailed AMD and they paid for the shipping this time for the RMA. In went my older card which I might add did it's best trying to run borderlands 2 at almost the highest settings with minimal stutter.

The new card finally arrived and...same thing. I tried Memtest86 with no errors, installed a new SSD cloning my old drive onto it, tried AMD and Sapphire drivers, removed my overclocks and non of it worked. Finally I figured it was time to just wipe Windows and start anew and I figured this was reason enough to purchase and install Windows 8 at its really cheap price. I was hesitant to do it since it'd mean starting all over again with everything and forgetting that ONE file I thought I had backed up but I finally admitted defeat and took the plunge...same problem although not as severe as when the 2nd card still arrived. Now it acts like how the first card acted when it first arrived, freezing up, artifacting the lower half of the screen and giving me an error saying the video driver had stopped responding but was recovered.

What other options do I have? I would think the card would work but it's already shown issues on two completely different systems and the issues seem to be the same just differing in their severity.

Windows 8 Pro clean install
    COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Steel ATX Case
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor
    ADATA Vitesta 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    Cooler master CPU cooler
    3 1TB HDD's
    1 200GB HDD
    1 DVD/CD Drive
    1 Blu-ray Drive
    COUGAR CMX 1000CMX 1000W PSU
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6850

My old Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 worked fine with Win 7, haven't tried it on 8 but it was my standby while the 6850 was with AMD.

I've downloaded drivers from both http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx and http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/downloads/?pid=497&psn=0006&lid=1&os=12

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK there is NO safe overclock. The p45 chipset was released in mid 2008 so it is 4+ yrs old now. If this mb was overclocked, the very first thing I would do would be to get a bright light and give the board a VERY close inspection for leaking capacitors.

Here are some pics of what to look for when doing the inspection.

Attached Files:

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If after a close inspection you find no failed caps, post your temps and voltages. Since this is a gigabyte board, you can download and install easytune [available on the support page for your board] This will show the relevant info.

4. crespoh69

crespoh69 Thread Starter

What I'm looking at in the pictures is the oxidation right? As for temps usually I'm in the high 30's if I remember correctly but I'll verify when I get home today.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Look for evidence of brown stuff (electrolyte) leaking, and cans bulging on top or bottom.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Frank has answered your question. The tops of the caps are supposed to be flat; if you seen any that are domed, they are in the process of failing. That along with leaking stuff or even a smell of what smells like ammonia denotes failing caps on the board.

The UD line of boards from gigabyte are very good [I am using one now] however nothing lasts forever [even less when overclocked]

7. crespoh69

crespoh69 Thread Starter

I wasn't able to see any of the brown stuff or coneheads :) all the caps are flat and besides a tiny bit of dust they're clean. As for the temps I guess I exaggerated a bit as speedfan shows low 30's.

What else could I check? I also tried each piece of RAM one at a time when I got and in different slots, it doesn't seem to be that since the problem still persists with each stick.

This issue is really stumping me because of this, two different systems, two similar problems.

Attached Files:

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Speedfan is not really worth much any longer. It was a decent program in its day however its day has long passed. If you look closely, you will see your 12V rail showing .7V. There is no way that is correct; system would not even pw ON.

Download easytune from the support page for your board and post all of your voltages. You may just have a failing video card however you do need to check other possibilities.

Easytune is purpose built software for your mb and will show correct data.

9. crespoh69

crespoh69 Thread Starter

I did a print screen of the tabs

Attached Files:

10. crespoh69

crespoh69 Thread Starter

The rest, the memory tabs are all identical.

Attached Files:

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Unless I'm missing something you seem to have a massive overclock on the Cpu and the Ram voltage is higher at 1.92 than the 1.8 Volts in it's spec.

I suggest you put everything back to stock and see if the problem goes away.

12. crespoh69

crespoh69 Thread Starter

Yes it is a massive overclock :) everything running on stock continues to still give the same issues though, at least on this card. Everything is stable overclock or not using another Sapphire card.

13. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If the Graphics card uses any of the system ram and that ram is being overstressed that could cause the artefacts. Did you drop the ram to 1.8 Volts when you removed the overclock ?

14. crespoh69

crespoh69 Thread Starter

Yes, when reverting back to stock clocks I changed it back to 1.8 but problems still persist. Using 1.8 using the OC actually makes things less stable and will make my system crash when testing things out.

My current method of testing is by changing my resolution since it's the simplest and quickest.

15. crespoh69

crespoh69 Thread Starter

Yes, when reverting back to stock clocks I changed it back to 1.8 but problems still persist. Using 1.8 using the OC actually makes things less stable and will make my system crash when testing things out.

My current method of testing is by changing my resolution since it's the simplest and quickest.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice