1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it better to replace mobo capacitors or get new mobo ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by primetime212, Dec 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. primetime212

primetime212 Thread Starter

Hi...I have a motherboard with a few bulging capacitors and the board is toast IMO...I saw somewhere that you can replace the capacitors though..So I was wondering is it better to get a new motherboard or replace the capacitors ?/ any info is appreciated...

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the board is still working, it's possible to replace the caps. You'll need to obtain the correct parts to replace them, but I think the MB maker might help you out there. The bonus of fixing the MB is you don't have the issues of changing to a new make/model of MB and the re-installation of Windows. :)

3. primetime212

primetime212 Thread Starter

true but you don't have to reinstall Windows if its the exact same model of motherboard...which is the one I'm looking at getting..and the board is defeintely not working at all..I can't even POST

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

As JohnWill stated, it is POSSIBLE to replace the caps.

I think you have to make your decision on how confident you are in replacing the caps without disturbing any of the other circuitry on the board. If you can get the exact same make and model board at a reasonable price, it may not be worth the time and effort to replace the damaged caps.

5. sammysosa

sammysosa

What are you planning to do when the caps on the replacement motherboard fail? If they haven't already been replaced with quality capacitors, they WILL fail; those defective caps were used in a LOT of products, not just computer motherboards.

Check these links for details:

http://www.badcaps.net

http://www.badcaps.net/causes/

Check the board maker's website to see if they are still providing refurbished boards on a direct-exchange basis; if so, that is your best option. Though I repair my own boards, I'm asking you to take my word for this; if you can exchange the board for a refurbished one, then I URGE you to do so. One of the Abit boards I repaired a few years ago developed problems after I put it back into service; other caps had failed, so I had to repair that board a second time. Unless you already own a quality soldering station, and enjoy that type of work, I hope you'll look into swapping the board for one that the manufacturer has refurbished. Otherwise, you're probably going to spend a lot of time on the "stupid-computer-is-going-haywire" bandwagon, and it isn't a pleasant experience.

Best of luck with this decision; hope everything turns out well for you.

6. brite750

brite750

most of the time when you buy a product and it fails due to quality issues, you dont go out and buy another one of the same as the one that failed, buy a quality mobo, Asus or Intel and get on with life.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you can get the exact same model of MB, I'd probably go that route. I was only suggesting the more difficult course because I figure it would save you effort in the re-install.

Of course, if that identical MB has the same caps... :D

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

JohnWill makes a very good point. If you buy an identical motherboard be sure and check the date of manufacture or you could later encounter the same problem. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/426481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice