1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is it compaq nc6120 or nx6120?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by madnessguy, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. madnessguy

madnessguy Thread Starter

Hi, A friend of mine gave me an old laptop computer but he took the hard drive with him. I was trying to buy the hard drive for this laptop but a notice this one didn't have a serial number neither model.I looked at over the internet and according to the pictures and feature it has shown over the web has two possible models "hp compaq nc6120 or nx6120 " can someone tell me the differences between this 2 models? so I don't buy the wrong harddrive?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

From what I could find on line the nc6120 may be the model HP sold in the USA and the nx6120 was for sale outside of the USA. I found a service guide for both models as a PDF file here:

http://tim.id.au/laptops/hp/hp compaq nx6110 nc6110 nx6120 nc6120.pdf

You can find information on the hard drives starting at page 6-6. Looking up the specs for the 380108-001 part number indicates it is a 2-1/2 inch drive with an IDE interface.

I found a page on the HP website where an HP employee states the nc6120 supports up to 100GB hard drives:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...ard-drive-do-I-have-Compaq-NC6120/td-p/301478

The service guide shows that a connector, caddy, and screws are needed to install the drive in the laptop. If your friend did not leave these parts when they kept the old drive, you will need to obtain them along with the drive.

FWiW, that is a very old computer that originally came with Windows XP. You should investigate if it supports any newer versions of MS-Windows if you choose to use a newer version. Also check if the correct drivers are available for any newer version you choose to use. Don't expect to this computer to give you any kind of performance that comes close to today's laptops.

3. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

The
    HP Compaq nc6120 Notebook PC
    HP Compaq nx6120 Notebook PC
    both originally came with Windows XP Home Edition or Professional 32-bit.
    The Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker on yours will confirm which version it came with.
    That sticker will be on the bottom of the case or inside the battery compartment.
    There should also be a sticker that has its product/part number(P/N).

Buying a replacement hard drive for it is going to cost you more than what it's worth.
    And do you know for a fact if it's going to work after a hard drive is installed in it?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  4. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

An 11 year old laptop is not something I would recommend putting any money into. Not only is the hardware old, slow, and having a greater chance of failure, but you'll also be stuck with an old and unsupported operating system unless you buy a new copy of Windows, or use Linux, which may not work at all or run extremely poorly on that ancient computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185382