1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is It Dying?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by seekermeister, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seekermeister

seekermeister Thread Starter

I have a LiteON SOHW 1673S DVD/CD burner, which I just tried to use to burn a set of backup disks with Dantz Retrospect Express. After an hour on the first disk and very near the capacity of it, I got an error -206, which said that it had failed either due to bad media or a dirty or damaged head. I ran my cleaning disk, and then ran Nero CD-DVD Drive speed on a movie DVD. That sailed through all of the phases of testing, until the last one for CPU utilization at 8x. It then also popped an error saying: "L-EC uncorrectable error (031105). I Googled for this, and all that I found indicated that the drive was probably dying. I just sent an email to LiteON tech support, but judging from my experience from other companies, I may have to wait some time for an answer, and then it may not be of much use. I'm really hoping that someone here can shed some light on this.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Time to get out the shovel, sounds like to me!

3. seekermeister

Thanks, but I don't think it's worth the funeral. I've been trying to decide about a replacement. I know that BenQ is now popular, but I'm not sure which model is best? I came across a Samsung which had better speed performance than anything I had known about, but have no idea of how good it is? If I can find the link again, I would like to get your opinion.

4. seekermeister

I finally found it in the browser history:

http://3btech.net/sash18xdolad.html

It came from a link that I found here, for something else. Maybe it was your's, I can't remember.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Looks fine to me...

6. seekermeister

But do you know anything about the drive? And since I did get this from a link of your's in the " help with upgrade in choice" thread, I was wondering if you know anything about the vendor?

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Drive is great I have a few and I have bought from this vendor many times, they ship quick and clean.

8. seekermeister

I got a response from Liteon, but as expected, it seemed to be a form response, rather than specifically answering my questions. It did provide a link to some firmware that wasn't available through their download wizard. They also wanted me to uninstall all burner software, except Nero..that I would not do. If there is some kind of compatability problem with the programs that I choose, then I'm not compatable with the drive.

I flashed the drives, and tried retrospect again, but again I got the same error as before. So I ran Nero Drive Speed again. This time it had no problem with the test. So I went to Retrospect Knowledge Base and found the error, here is what it said:

This makes it appear that the problem is most likely due to media rather than the drive. My media is new, clean and undamaged, so I'm suspecting that it is a matter of the basic quality of the media instead. The media that I have, I got from CompUSA during one of their sales, but I think that I may have gotten what I paid for.

Before buying a new drive, I'm going to buy some more media. Any suggestions on which I should buy?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!