1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it illegal to burn trial software installation files to a CD

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by Pally, Nov 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pally

Pally Thread Starter

and than sell the CD?

Is there anywhere one can read up on it?

2. C141

C141

3. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Generally there isn't a general answer.
    Each program will have different terms in their license, and at the end of the day that's what determines whether something is or is not legal. Read the license; most will have something along the lines of "you can make up to one copy of this for backup purposes" (less so for trial software) and that's what you're allowed.

4. C141

C141

@Ent

Yes, but can he SELL it??

5. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Almost always no, trial versions of commercial software can be sold only by the creators of the software or explicitly licensed partners. At the end of the day it comes down the license on the software.

Some free software (especially open source software) may be saleable, although nearly impossible to make substantial amounts on for distribution alone.

6. Pally

Pally Thread Starter

Its not that i intend to sell it, its just that some dude wants me to burn those trials that are downloaded from the official sources for him as a backup cd coz he himself does not know how to burn, and his gonna tip me for the effort i put in doing that.

7. prunejuice

prunejuice

Give him the CD and the software for free...and charge a modest fee for the paper sleeve.

;)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!