1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it just me,this is complicated!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by gezfixit, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gezfixit

gezfixit Thread Starter

Need someone smarter than me to solve this.This a friends Gateway GM5474 w/Vista Home Premium.He hates it because its so slow, so I thought I'd just wipe it and install clean O/S, same one.I used Dban,Wipedrive,Spotmau, showed 2 partitions, 1-10gb and the other 385gb on a 500 gb HD. Wiped,delete,format,partition(same)reinstall clean vista and everytime (least 10 times) does not ask for key(on back) and doesn't need drivers,goes back to way it was. I build all my pc's and have just built one, so I took the brand new HD out of it, wiped the drive, just used entire partition,format,ntsf and installed vista again,came back same as with the other drive,35 processes,cpu usage 6-8 %,phsical memory 25%.Did a backup of all the drivers before I wiped it,thought would need.Just wanted to get rid of all the crap that comes with it. I thought it must have a hidden,locked partition storing all the info, but with new HD, how is it coming back,not asking for drivers,all the same processes running.Unless it's stored somewhere in the bios,mobo, I have no idea.Hijack This won't let me right click for admin. Any thoughts would be appreciated.Maybe shut down or delete some stuff?

2. gezfixit

gezfixit Thread Starter

Well, I guess it was toooo complicated for this TECH site, 144 people looked at this and not 1 has any idea(Jeez). Maybe I need to make it way more elementary of a question. Thought it was simple, he had all the oem crap running, so I backed up the drivers and wiped it. It has the key on back and I have a copy of Vista Home Premium,(from Tiger Direct no extras on it). Like I said above I kept wiping it and reformatting, thinking it would ask for the key and drivers but it didn't, just came back using alot of memory like when original.It's a dual core 6000+,3000 each core,2gb memory, has no apps on it. My personal pc sits on 0% and its got 50 apps on it, 4gb mem though. I f no one here can answer the question, how can I put a new HD in this Gateway(never been in here) and it still comes back up the same as with the original HD in it(thats been wiped 10 times), doesn't ask for any drivers, no mobo,chipset,nothing. Every pc I've built and loaded,first thing it HAS to have is the mobo,chipset info, then rest of drivers. I doesn't even have the graphics board installed,had to pull it cause it won't boot at all with it in,pull it out and it boots up,guessing its bad. How many processes should run on clean install of Vista with nothing installed and should it use that much memory, that should be simple question even if no one can answer the other question about new Hard drive not needing anything to run on this pc. Out of almost 150 tech smart people that's seen this, someone should have a answer or at minimum a question. By the way, this is my 1st tech site to join and ask question, in 20 yrs building my own and working on them I've read many forums to find answers but have never ask. This one popped up when I ask for best tech support, so I joined. If no one on this site will help,or even try, guess I'll look for another top rated tech site. Thanks.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

On my Vista virtual machine ( which is close to a clean install) , I have 36 processes running at startup. CPU usage jumps up and down, I guess because it is virtual.

Maybe your friend had too many startup programs and they were using up cpu. Your fresh install would definitely be better than what he had orignally.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029885

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice