1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is it meant for Xp or Win 98?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Offthebackboard, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Offthebackboard

Offthebackboard Thread Starter

My Cpu says it is mean for windows 2000 pro and underneath that windows 98 although i run XP on my computer. Is there a problem?

Also how do you find out how much RAM memory space and Physical space you have on your computer.

When i play a fullscreen 3-D game it says i need a 64 Mb card and it detects a 32 Mb Card? And the computer runs very slow after i close out of the game.

Ive tried looking at some sites about upgrading memory and things like that so the computer can run smooth and no lags in gameplay but it cant find anything for my Dimension 8100 Dell. Does this mean i have to buy a new computer?

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Normally older systems like older OS's because of limitations such as RAM and cpu speed.
    You can see how much memory you have by going to 'My Computer' and right-clicking on it, and then go down to 'properties' and left-clicking. It should tell you the RAM.
    But, this may help to see what's in your system..

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Belarc_Advisor_d1385.html

It will tell you what you have in your computer. And, BTW, most games take a lot
    more resources than even 64 megs of video card ram. If you can afford it, get the
    best video you can get, at least for gaming..

3. Anton Wan

Anton Wan

Also your computer should have a "service tag" sticker located somewhere on your computer. If you go to dell's website you should be able to look up the specs for that machine for when it was shipped. http://support.dell.com/?~ck=mn

Also If you are looking at upgrading the memory (RAM) in the computer check out http://www.crucial.com/ they have a easy tool to look up the amount of RAM your computer can handle and the type it will take.

Your video all depends on if it is a pci, vga, or onboard video. Here is a little article that might help get you started http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/games/learnmore/videocard101.mspx

TK

4. Offthebackboard

OS's?? oh and i did what you said about my computer and properties
    System Microsoft windows Xp Proffesional Version 2002 Service Pack 2

Computer: Intel(R) Pentium (R) 1400MHz 1.40 GHz and 348 MB of RAM Is that good? And my earlier question if my cpu has a sticker saying meant for windows 2000 pro and underneath that windows 98 but i run Windows Xp Proffesional is that a problem?

5. Offthebackboard

This is some of the stuff i got when i ran the belarc advisor.

System Model
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 8100
    System Service Tag: 6TJML01 (support for this PC)
    Chassis Serial Number: 6TJML01
    Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    1.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 8100
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A06 04/20/2001
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    80.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    61.01 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LG CD-RW CED-8080B [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

ST380011A [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 4JV2SKGT, rev 8.01, SMART Status: Healthy 384 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'RIMM_1' has 128 MB
    Slot 'RIMM_2' has 128 MB
    Slot 'RIMM_3' has 64 MB
    Slot 'RIMM_4' has 64 MB
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 80.02 GB 61.01 GB free

Network Drives
    None detected

6. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Doesn't look like a problem. You have a good system. Looks like it's been upgraded. Just
    follow Anton Wan's suggestions and get a better video card, and then 'rock'n'roll'.

7. Offthebackboard

Ok thanks ill do that then.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice