1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Is It Microsoft Changing My Default Browser?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by snikert, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snikert

snikert Account Closed Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4095 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6450, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 941285 MB, Free - 806433 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0NWWY0
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled
    ###

Here's the problem -
    My Internet browser is Firefox 49.0.1 and up to date. It is my default browser.

I have Vivaldi 1.4.589.11 installed but rarely use it.

I have uninstalled Internet Explorer or disabled it.

Periodically something changes my default browser. It's not Vivaldi.

The changing usually happens around the time Microsoft updates are due.
    Could it be Microsoft Windows changing the default to IE? If it is, how can I stop it or can I? [​IMG]

Thanx! [​IMG]

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer because it's built into and is part of the Windows 7 operating system.

If you have Mozilla Firefox set up to be your default browser, it should work that way.

I know nothing about Vivaldi, so I can't comment on it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

What other security-related apps do you use because MSE?

You may have malware, etc. in your Dell that's causing issues.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. snikert

Right, I understand not being able to uninstall IE but it is, at least to my 'eyes', disabled because I'm unable to find it anywhere on my hard drive. There's file folders, "Internet Explorer" but no way to open the application. I have CCleaner and it lists Mozilla Firefox and Vivaldi but no Internet Explorer. (Just as an aside.)

Microsoft Security Essentials & Windows Firewall, security-related. I also have Malwarebytes and SuperAnit Spyware, which I try to run daily and nothing in the way of malware has been found or if it has it's quarantined.

If it's malware why does it only happen just prior to Microsoft Updates? Just before the time for the updates 'something' is changing my default browser, then changes it back in about the same time frame. With regularity it happens this way every month.

I wonder if anyone else has encountered their default browser being changed, then changed back?

Probably no big deal, but I don't like whatever it is changing my applications and how they operate.

Thanx, Frank!

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I don't know how it was uninstalled, but it could be the fact that it is "uninstalled" that's causing the problem.

I would goto Control Panel / Programs and Features / (left column) Turn Windows features on or off - find IE and "install" it. Then run Windows Update to ensure all of the security related IE updates are installed. You can remove the IE icon from the short cut bar and even delete it from All Programs, but it will still be installed on the HDD and registry. I hardly ever use it, but it's handy to have on hand to verify if a webpage is working properly or not. Every once in awhile I come across a page that won't work correctly in FF, but works perfectly fine in IE.

Bottom line, as noted above, it's built into Windows and you shouldn't be able to remove it. I suspect whatever you did do to "uninstall" it have created an issue, likely in the registry for the default browser key. I suggest simply installing it, and then moving it from sight.

5. snikert

Thanks!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1179264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice