1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it my HDD or motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zipp080, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zipp080

Zipp080 Thread Starter

Ok, last night if you saw my post I spent all night attempting to figure out why my computer would not recognize my harddrive in my bios.

Well this is how it was. I could hook up my harddrive ALONE and the bios would see it. If I hooked up my CDROM with it, then it only recognized the CDRW and not the HDD. I hooked it up alone as a secondary master, and as a slave to the HDD, and both ways it never recognized both. And the funny thing was, I have 5 ribbon cables, and only one of them seemed to ever allow me to recognize the HDD.

So I called a tech and we were on the phone for quite some time. He thought it was my CDRW that was causing the problem. So after about 2 hours of switching around the HDD and CDRW, I went and got a CDRW from another computer and hooked it up. Well the same thing happened. BUT, after I got off the phone with the tech, I did end up getting the HDD and CDRW to both be recognized in the BIOS. So I thought good deal, I began downloading XP boot disks on another comp and I come back to stick them in, and reboot, and it no longer recognized the harddrive again.

Anyways after about another 10 boot ups messing with the harddrive and CDRW by changing them around on the primary and secondary and slave, it starts making this wierd "CLINK CLINK CLINK" everytime I boot. And in the BIOS it allows me to recognize it alone with nothing else connected, but now it says "MAXTOR RIGEL" and it shows it as a "0GB" HDD. Well I search on the net and it says it does that when the HDD is failing and no longer can read the disks in the HDD itself.

Well what my question is, was it my HDD all along that was causing it to only be recognized every 15 or so bootups, and only when it was by itself. (It didnt recognize it EVERY time by itself, only 1 out of every 5 or so bootups)? Could it be my harddrive that was making it do that? Or could it be more of my motherboard IDE slots doing that? AND did my HDD fail because I had reconnected and switched it around so many times (50+) and rebooted, or did it fail because it was actually the problem in the first place?

2. pronute

pronute

Yes it could very well be a bad hard drive in the first place and for that matter any bad IDE device in the daisy chain can take the whole chain down, think of like a traffic jam on the single lane highway one car stalls out from that point on nothing is moving in ether direction.

3. Zipp080

Zipp080 Thread Starter

Well the thing was. When i had the HDD and the CDRW hooked up. It still recognized the CDRW, just not the HDD. But when I disconnected the CDRW, it would recognize the HDD.

Also, I just built this computer and switched over the HDD and the CDRW from my old system. Could it not be recognized together because of the drivers I had on the HDD itself?

4. Zipp080

Zipp080 Thread Starter

I switched over both the HDD and the CDRW from my old system. Could it not recognize them both because of the drivers I had on my HDD from my old system maybe? I was planning on reformatting and installing OS while it was in my new system.

I am thinking not though, because two differnet times I did in fact get them to both be recognized, but once I booted down, and booted back up, they no longer were, only the CDRW.

5. pronute

pronute

You stated in your first post that BIOS wasn't recognizing the hard drive which has nothing to do with the drivers since the OS is not loaded at that stage. If BIOS does not recognize any device then that device does not exist as far as the OS is concerned.

6. flash777

flash777

did you say you have both the hd and cdrw on the same ide cable?
    who makes the hd?
    what model is the comp?

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    could it be cables?????

8. phatmattrat

phatmattrat

You shouldn't have the HDD and CDRW on the same cable anyway. Blue side of the cable goes to the motherboard, black to the master HDD and grey to the slave HDD. Of course assuming this is an ATA-133 ribbon.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice