1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is It Necessary To Format My HDD?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by GoJoAGoGo, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    Hi:

My O/S is Windows ME. I recently backed up my HDD with Norton Ghost and have the entire HDD stored on a set of CD-R.

My question is if my HDD became corrupt would I have to format the HDD first, or could I restore the HDD with my backup set CD-R and not have to format? If I didn't format my HDD, would all the corrupted files be overwritten by the backup image or would bits and pieces of the corrupted files remain on the HDD?

Thanks

:cool:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The way ghost works is that it creates an exact image of your drive - including the partitioning and formating. So when you restore the images it recreates the partition/format info as well - although it can adapt to different size of hard drive and expand the size. So no you don't have to partition or format the harddrive just restore the image.

3. prospect

prospect

I use Ghost on a second HD and save all my stuff from C: to my ghost drive. I've done all kinds of stupid stuff, and it brough it all back from my ghost file on my second HD. This includes,install XP then I would bring back my ghost file which had ,ME. It worked fine for me. I think everybody should have a second HD, then use ghost to save what ya got. Then if ya have any kind of problems, you can bring back your system from ghost. I think its fantastic.

4. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    Triple6 - prospect

Thanks for the information. It's good to know I won't have to format my HDD if I need to restore it. Perhaps a 2nd HDD is in the near future.

:cool:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice