1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it necessary to update drivers?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by DASAstoria, May 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DASAstoria

DASAstoria Thread Starter

I recently put a new hard drive in a 7-year-old Acer Aspire E-380 desktop and then I updated the OS (Vista) to Service Pack 2.

1. Do I also need to go to Acer's website to update the drivers or were they updated automatically with the OS?

2. I plan on installing Windows 7 on the computer soon. Is updating the drivers necessary either before installation or after?

3. If I do need to update the drivers, I've found several Acer sites where driver updates are offered. Any advice on which site to go to?

Thanks for your help.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I would NOT waste any time on this. IF you are having issues with a device, THEN look into updating the driver for THAT device.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to its support site, the Acer Aspire E380 desktop has driver support for Windows XP and Windows Vista(32-bit), but it does not have driver support for Windows 7.

According to its driver list, it appears to have these devices:

ATI or NVIDIA graphics

Realtek audio

Marvell ethernet

---------------------------------------------------------------------

If Windows Vista(32-bit) installed the drivers for all of that desktop's devices, the Device Manager will list all devices and show them as working properly.

If it did not, there will be a yellow ? next to the problematic devices and it will require you installing the needed drivers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1097693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice