1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it necessary to update the Realtek High Definition Audio driver?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Dung, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dung

Dung Thread Starter

My sound works fine even though the driver says 2006 (5.10.0.5211). Is it necessary for me to update to the newest driver?

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

No,as long as it's working you don't have to.

3. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

I`ve just got one thing to say, don`t mess with the Realtek drivers you have now if they are working fine, all you may do is open a can of worms you don`t really want to. Sometimes Realtek software can be really finicky, and you could end up without any sound at all.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

The current version of Realtek High Definition Audio for Windows XP is 5.10.0.6050.

Unless you're having a sound problem or want to add whatever features the new version has, there's no compelling reason to update the sound driver.

With Windows Vista, you have to install the driver twice and restart twice. The first install removes the old driver and the second install adds the new driver. I don't know if it installs the same way with Windows XP.

---------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!