1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it normal for the fans in laptops to run every couple minutes?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FuzzyWuzzy, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FuzzyWuzzy

FuzzyWuzzy Thread Starter

I didnt notice this before. Why does it run so often and how can I adjust it.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Normal.

They run when the CPU temperature gets up.

To stop it, you could:

Turn the laptop off
    Not use it for anything, so the CPU runs cool
    Ensure that the air vents are free from obstruction
    Use it in a cold room.

3. FuzzyWuzzy

thanks kiwi.

i think it was just cause its 3am and im in my living room where its not one single noise. And I hear the fan going off every minute. I just didnt know it would be that often that the fan goes off into high power. I mean normally it wont be noticeable cuz right now its 3am LOL.

I was told by the toshiba rep I can adjust to slient mode if i wish, which will run quieter, but then my cpu will be hotter and probably wont run as fast.

Tnoughts?

He also said, you cant adjut when the fans go off, its default going off every minute.

4. FuzzyWuzzy

kiwi im timing it, and im hearing the fans go off every minute. Are you sure this is ok? I never heard odf all Branded laptops doing this.

5. FuzzyWuzzy

even with the fans turned up on it, its still amazingly quiet and 100000x quieter than my desktop and most desktops i heard so far. When its off, the laptop doenst make one once of noise. Quite aamzing how quiet laptops are.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Mine turns on periodically, as long as the fan is working, it'll probably continue to compute. :)

7. FuzzyWuzzy

What to do? Would I be able to pop off the key and put it back on? Will that do the trick. Now just so you know what Im refering to, I notice 2 of my # keys on my laptop have a louder click sound when softly pressed and it feels bit different feedback from the rest.

this is a common problem with keyboards I know. But I was wondring how to pop off the key and put back on.

8. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

Not on a laptop, unless it's ancient ('i' before 'e' except after 'c'...who the {asterisk} thought of that one. Refering to ancient not anceint for those in Kentucky). Laptop keyboards are replaced as a whole (the laptop's I've dealt with). If you 'pop' it off you 'void your warranty'.

Sorry for all of the ' 's

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is your CPU a regular P4 or a P4-M? If its a regular P4 then it will run often as it creates more heat.

10. FuzzyWuzzy

p4

11. FuzzyWuzzy

cant you pop off the keys with just a pen tip like on desktop standards keyboards?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice