1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it ok to empty the temp folders?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by alphaomegase, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alphaomegase

alphaomegase Thread Starter

Hi, just a quick question. I have a Compaq Presario 2200 running Windows XP 512MB of RAM and a 60GB Hard drive. Is it ok to delete everything in the C:\Temp folder and everything in the C:\Windows\Temp folder? Is there anything I shouldn't delete? Can I set the folder to "show hidden files and folders" and then delete everything in them? Any help is appreciated. :D Thank You!

Sean

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

I delete all of my temp folders weekly to keep my computer clean and I've never had a problem.

3. Bryan

Bryan

Just to second what Couchmaster said, it should be ok to delete it all. I have a .bat program that I've scheduled to run at every startup and it deletes everything in the Temp folder.

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

use disk cleanup in start/programs/accessories/system tools every couple of weeks and you can select from the boxes what is deleted from where.

5. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

6. slaphappy

slaphappy

I'm no expert but I've been using ccleaner for over six months now and it is great for cleaning the day-to-day junk that acumulates on your comp.

7. Jeffyboy

Jeffyboy

Sure.. the c:\windows\temp can be emptied... also
    c:\Documents and Settings\username\local settings\temp can be emptied...
    c:\windows\$NTuninstallKB88368746 blah blah can be removed as well if all your service packs are fine.

Probably tons of stuff that's not needed on there.

8. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

9. ManBehindGod

ManBehindGod

I tried diskcleanup, and it cleans the temp folder, but when I ran CCleaner, it still cleans 1.25MB . Maybe it means CCleaner can clean more craps in your computer.

10. alphaomegase

alphaomegase Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies guys I appreciate it and I will try that ccleaner. :D

11. wahlroot

wahlroot

Here is a Batch file I use. Copy the below to Note pad and save as Remove Temps.bat
    rd removes the folder, and MD replaces it. Where you see Users, change to your user name. To have it happen at startup, Right Click, Start, Programs, and place it in Startup folder.

@IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
    @ECHO OFF

rd /s /q "c:\Documents and Settings\Users\Local Settings\Temp"
    MD "c:\Documents and Settings\Users\Local Settings\Temp"
    rd / s/ q "c:\Documents and Settings\Users\Local Settings\History"
    MD "c:\Documents and Settings\Users\Local Settings\History"
    Local Settings\History"
    rd /s /q "c:\Documents and Settings\Users\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files"
    MD "c:\Documents and Settings\Users\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files"
    rd /s /q "c:\Documents and Settings\Users\Cookies"
    MD "c:\Documents and Settings\Users\Cookies"
    rd /s /q "C:\Temp"
    MD "c:\Temp\"
    rd /s /q "C:\Windows\temp"
    MD "C:\Windows\Temp"

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/364094