1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is it ok to turn my bt home hub firewall off?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by markshim, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. markshim

markshim Thread Starter

im using my xp`s firewall at the moment.
    the thing is i have 3 online games that i like to play and was wondering if i should turn my bt home hub firewall off and if it safe too?
    also would it help with the lag i get when playing the games to turn the bt home hubs firewall off?

2. jbm1991

jbm1991

i have my BT home hub firewall disabled, but that's more personal preference than anything.
    Can i say though, the inbuilt XP firewall is crap. and so i recommend Comodo Firewall, download link here, as it is free, but very good :)

3. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

(y) for your suggestion!

Just some additional info, Comodo does not provide a standalone firewall anymore. You can now get the Comodo internet security to install the firewall, just make sure not to install Comodo antivirus if you already have one. Defense+ is a useful program as well but it can become annoying if not configured properly. In my opinion, don't install it. :)

4. dez_666

dez_666

Not sure what most people around here think, but Zonealarm is a free software firewall. However, using your hub as a firewill will create less overhead for your PC.

5. jbm1991

jbm1991

well, it sounds like he doesn't have an antivirus, but fair comment anyway :)

Zone Alarm is also fine and dandy, but the new version is apparently not very good and its also one of the least user friendly firewalls available.

Also the Home Hub firewall is useless IMO. its always my PC firewall that catches anything, the only thing the Hub one does is cause problems for my PS3 ;)

6. markshim

markshim Thread Starter

i using avira antivir premium and i have spybot too, i know these are not firewalls. just need to know if its safe so turn the bt home hub firewall off, is there a free firewall that wont interfere with my games.
    the hubs firewall is letting me play them ok but a mate told me to turn it off because my games will play better? i just don`t think xps firewall is enough.....

7. jbm1991

jbm1991

XP's firewall isn't enough. :) download the Comodo one i mentioned above, and DON'T install the antivirus seeing as you already have one. Its free, good, and easy to set up.

8. markshim

markshim Thread Starter

ok will give it a try thanks :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/794329