1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Is it OK to turn off psu everytime you shut down?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 845386958, Dec 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 845386958

845386958 Thread Starter

I have the habit of turning off my psu everytime when I shut down my pc. It's mainly because the motherboard light are very annoying at night when I tried to sleep. I usually shut down my pc 2-3 times a day so I want to ask if this habit of mine will damage the psu or not.

PC spec in case you guys need it:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Processor (YD170XBCAEWOF)
    Motherboard:: ASUS Prime X370-Pro AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 ATX X370 Motherboard with AURA Sync RGB Lighting
    Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
    SSD/HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM) and WD 1 tb
    GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC GAMING, 4GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) Graphics Card 04G-P4-6253-KR
    PSU:EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2, 80+ GOLD 850W, Fully Modular
    Chassis: The case already have the case fan.
    Case :Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition, Full Tower ATX Case

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

PSU's don't break when you turn them off.

3. cornemuse

cornemuse

Do you mean the switch on back of psu (on back of computer)?
    There is a bios setting that keeps 5v on when comp is off for using usb ports for charging whatever.

This comp is a gigabyte AM1M-S2H, & the bios setting is "whateveritis", you must turn it 'on' to actually turn it 'off'.

I have a bunch of comps connected with KVM switch, & with the 5v 'on' it messes up the KVM switches. Plus the light on the mobo is annoying.

Maybe this is your problem, the bios default is 'on'.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Page 3-19 of the online manual shows the options for turning ON/OFF lighting.
    To answer your question, it should be fine if you want to turn OFF the switch on the back of the pw supply. You are not going to be able to charge a phone or whatever when the system is OFF like you can when the switch is left ON.

5. 845386958

845386958 Thread Starter

Thanks for the answer guys.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice