Is it ok to use a Seagate Skyhawk HDD on a Gaming PC?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MusicManiac

Hi, I just bought a Skyhawk 4TB Hard Disk but after looking it up online, I am perplexed weather to use it or return it. I need it since I don't have any other options available.

My PC is running on 240GB SSD, and I am planning use it as a gaming and software drive. I do Illustrations on Photoshop & CSP, do 3D rendering on Blender and use DAWs (Studio One) & several plugins along with it apart from gaming.

I don't mind it being slow or anything I just don't want it to crash like my Barracuda after 1½ year.

I am seeking for a immediate response since I need to return this harddisk soon if I don't use.

My PC configuration is
Ryzen 7 2700X
AMD RX580
16 GB DDR4
Aorus X470
240 GB SSD
Corsair CX550

Last edited:

crjdriver

It is a sata drive so what is the problem?
I don't mind it being slow or anything I just don't want it to crash like my Barracuda after 1½ year.
Since this drive only has a 3yr warranty, IF you are worried about longevity, I would purchase a better quality drive ie WD black series.

MusicManiac

It is a sata drive so what is the problem?
Since this drive only has a 3yr warranty, IF you are worried about longevity, I would purchase a better quality drive ie WD black series.
I appreciate your reply and I agree with you and I have already installed it on my PC.
But I am worried about the existing online consensus that surveillance hard drives should be used only with surveillance system or there is a high chance of it crash before it's lifetime is over.

crjdriver

It is not a high quality drive so yes it is going to fail at some point. Up to you if you want to use that drive OR go with a quality drive.

crjdriver

FWIW I have had drives from all mfg fail ie seagate, maxtor, and western digital. I have never had a WD black or raptor drive fail. One black drive is over 10yr old and still running [mostly every day]

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
My PC configuration is
Ryzen 7 2700X
AMD 580X
16 GB DDR4
Aorus X470
240 GB SSD
Corsair CX550
cpu.JPG

gpu.JPG

Assuming I've listed the correct processor and graphics card, I'm guessing crjdriver will have some comments about the power supply you have in your computer.

-------------------------------------------------

crjdriver

Yeah it is not great however it is not causing any problem at this time. The cx series should be used for a basic build and not with a gaming type card.

MusicManiac

View attachment 276619

View attachment 276620

Assuming I've listed the correct processor and graphics card, I'm guessing crjdriver will have some comments about the power supply you have in your computer.

Thanks for pointing that out, I mistyped RX 580 as 580X, even though Idk how much diff in power consumption is that but seem to be running fine for last 1 and a half year.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Thanks for clarifying you have a Radeon RX 580 and not a Radeon 580X.
The RX 580 uses 185W and the 580X uses 150W.
I don't know if the 35W additional load would cause an issue with the CX550 power supply.
I'll leave you with crjdriver to answer that.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online