1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it only overheating? Could it be something else?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Adrenalineflash, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Adrenalineflash

Adrenalineflash Thread Starter

Well, my computer was bought in February and received some heavy use since then. :p

I have noticed recently that the computer has been running fairly hot, and my gaming experiences were chock-full of lovely drops in framerate. I then moved my laptop to the coldest room in the house, and temporary fix, here I come.

But I realize, even though not nearly as hot as it used to be, the framerate during gaming still randomly drops, generally at more stressfull times, but it does drop frequently. The problem is that it never did this before, while playing the same games as I used to.

Although both my hard drives are at least 75% full, in total I have over 100gb of hard drive space left. I defragmented the both of them to get under 1% fragmentation in each (although my backup drive is almost 100% fragmented, what a mystery :/)

I dont have THAT many processes open and I have run Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D, and cleaned up.

I was wondering if perhaps there could be another issue aside overheating here. Any suggestions?

2. Megabite

Megabite

Laptops are not the best for playing intense games on.......I had a laptop that I put something at the back and blew a fan underneath to keep it cool....you can get units that fit on the bottom of the laptop that will keep it cool (laptop Coolers)

Have you checked on the manufactures site to see if there are any updates for it?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you checked your temps? Post the result here.

Next when a drive is more than 2/3 full, it will have a performance impact. Remember in a standard install of windows, the os manages the page file. If the drive is too full, windows may have problems with dynamic management of the page file.

BTW I agree. Laptops are NOT for gaming. They are just too prone to overheating when playing games.

4. Adrenalineflash

I know they're not for gaming, but that doesn't mean that this laptop didn't run these games near-flawless in the past. It's just that there are random drops in framerate at random occasions, and the computer does heat up quite well.

Should there be a partition for the system files?

I ran speedfan and coretemp but I'm not even sure if they're working fine, unless I just cant feel the heat with my hand. I was getting readings between 78C and 90C.

Right now just by browsing with Opera and using a few background apps, Speedfan says:

Temp1 : 89C
    Core : 85C

Could this be true? Aren't these measures ridiculous?

Specs :

HP Pavilion DV5
    AMD Turion-X2 Ultra 64 - 2.1GHz
    ATI Radeon HD 3450 w/ 512mb of memory
    RAM : 4GB
    Vista 64x

This is enough to play games like Team Fortress 2 well. I was told by some that the hard drives are pretty full but they shouldn't be affecting performance too well. My HD space is something like :

"C:/" - 48.7gb free of 181gb
    "D:/ recovery" - 1.97gb free of 12.4gb
    "E:/" - 57.3 free of 178gb

How much would I have to clear up, and from which drives if I need to improve performance?

Thanks for the answers.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you hear or feel the fans running in the laptop?

Whats the exact model of your DV5? Check the sticker on the bottom for the full model number.

6. Adrenalineflash

Yeah, I hear the fans.

Hp Pavilion dv5 1250us

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  8. Adrenalineflash

Thanks for the help. I have planned on getting compressed air to clean out the fans, although i'm not sure how to apply it properly. I may get one of those devices placed under the laptop for cooling.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You simply blow out any dust from the fans/vents; cooling pads are great but only if the vents and fans aren't obstructed in the laptop and not moving the hottest air away from the critical components.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/836720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice