Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is it physically possible to replace an integrated graphics card?

11K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Kennethj 
#1 ·
I've heard this a million times: "No, its not possible. Now follow this link for PCI or PCI Express graphics card that you can purchase, and then disable your onboard card."

But I think it should be possible. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right. My laptop has an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000, integrated of course. I'm not sure the motherboard type though, sorry. Its a Dell D600. Shouldn't it be possible to unsolder the card and resolder another one in? Would the pins fit differently? The only reason I haven't tried this yet is that I still need this old Dell. So do any of you know? Because this ATI graphics card physically exists in a chip form. Its not part of the motherboard's silicon, it was added onto the motherboard at some point during production. This makes me think its possible.

I know you are trying to be helpful, but I'm aware that it would be better to buy a new motherboard, or a different laptop, or give it to a pro to do, but I'm not going to buy a new computer, and I'm not giving it to someone else to do something I'm capable of doing myself. Thank you very much for any replies.

#3 ·
With unlimited money and time just about anything is possible. Is it practical or cost effective, that is another question.

The next issue you will encounter is whether or not the pw supply for the laptop can power a higher drawing video chip. A third issue is heat dissipation; a faster video chip is going to generate more heat. A laptop's cooling is designed to extract a given amount of heat energy. When you add to the amount of heat energy, you have problems.

With the price of modern laptops so cheap now, it makes little or no sense to spend what could be a LOT of money to replace a video chip.

#4 ·
not trying to burst your bubble,
BUT,
another factor to consider,
motherboards are NOT J U S T a circuit board!!!
they are MULTI-LAYERED,
what you see on the top and bottom of the mb,
aren't always all the connections made,
the middles count also,
that is not to say your integrated chip,
at IT'S mounting points,
DOES have other connetions,
BUT,
it sure is possible,
a few years back,
when the 'popping' caps thing happened,
number of people were successful replacing theirs,
but a lot weren't!
if you're that adamant about this project though,
you should be prepared to do a bit of research,
1. find the manufacturer of that particular mb for dell,
2. find the manufacturer of that particular graphics chip,
[won't necessarily be ati either],
3. see if you can get actual schematics of same,
4. be knowledgable enough to READ / UNDERSTAND the schematics you get,
5. be able to acquire just ONE chip,
6. be able to modify additional circuits for compatability as necessary,
7. be REALLY good at using a soldering iron, solder-wicks, heat-sinks, etc.,
also consider,
might be right difficult acquiring the schematics,
when you think about manufacturing technology secrecy,
used to be, old school,
wasnt to difficult to put a different engine in a car,
all you needed was a welder and some steel,
and a bit of mechanical apptitude,
now,
with computerised controls being what they are,
just a bit more involved,
that said,
good luck on your project,

#5 ·
I've heard this a million times: "No, its not possible. Now follow this link for PCI or PCI Express graphics card that you can purchase, and then disable your onboard card."
Make that 1,000,004 times now.

But I think it should be possible. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right.
Perhaps, but for obvious good reasons no. And you're quite wrong.

My laptop has an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000, integrated of course. I'm not sure the motherboard type though, sorry. Its a Dell D600.
You can't replace IGP (Intergrated Graphics Proccessor), especially on a notebook. And even on gaming notebooks without IGPs - those cards are CUSTOM spec to work within that particular notebook are are usually NON upgradable.

Shouldn't it be possible to unsolder the card and resolder another one in? Would the pins fit differently? The only reason I haven't tried this yet is that I still need this old Dell.
Nope. You can try, do you have years of experince working on motherboards and SMPs? What kind of solder to use? What temp? And considering the industry replaces hardware every 6-9 months, pin-compatibity isn't there.

Because this ATI graphics card physically exists in a chip form. Its not part of the motherboard's silicon
No, IGPs are part of the North Bridge, which controls the computer - the heart of a computer. Its not socketed.... and also theres the whole (A) Driver issue for a IGP (B) that doesn't exists.

So exactly WHAT IGP were looking to put in its place?

I'm aware that it would be better to buy a new motherboard, or a different laptop, or give it to a pro to do, but I'm not going to buy a new computer, and I'm not giving it to someone else to do something I'm capable of doing myself.
Answered in order of statements above
(a) You're then aware of the only choice of action, buy a new notebook.
(b) There is no "pro" to do what you want, including Dell. Call them... please, make their day.
(c) Don't buy a new computer, thats your choice. Live with what you have.
(d) How can you do it yourself when you have no understanding of computer hardware technology? I understand the concept of rebuilding an engine block or open-heart surgery - but these are things that are far beyond by abilities. The ONLY thing a tech may do or could do is replace the systemboard with EXACT same unit or the same exact NB chip - things that a tech does to replace a defective part... not as an upgrade.

Heres a pulled one you can buy for $100 with a photo: http://www.gogctech.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=30 Usual price is $150~250 + labor.

Your notebook is out of warranty. If you want better graphics (for what?) or have defective issues, you'll need TO REPLACE your notebook. $600 gets you a lot nowadays, or live with what you have. Its your choice, right?

#6 ·
Yeah 1,000,004...
Well at least you guys have given me real reasons this time. Thanks for the answers guys.
Maybe when I get a new laptop I'll perform a bit of surgery if I get bored...

#7 ·
Sell it for $100~200 if its in good condition. Put that towards a new computer... and someone else who has little money to work with may have a computer. It has some value since it has a legit XP installed on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.