1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it possible my router is blocking AIM from signing on?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by devlin, Oct 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. devlin

devlin Thread Starter

ive got a netgear rangemax router hooked into netgear 16 port switch which feeds 11 computers. MOST of the time any computer on the network cannot sign onto aim, even macs. but they can sign onto aim if they connect to the network upstairs. could it be the router?

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Are the PC's upstairs connected to the same router the switch is? If yes I am perplexed why the ones on the switch cant but the ones directly on the router can.. If the PC's have a different network connection than the ones downstairs then yes it can be a router configuration setting.

3. devlin

devlin Thread Starter

oh, no pc is plugged into the router. its only there to assign IPs. every computer is plugged into the switch. upstairs are on different brand name router and different isp. further troubleshooting showed me that there are 2 computers on the network that can sign onto aim but most can't including mine and 2 macs and couple other pcs. no firewalls on mine at all

4. devlin

devlin Thread Starter

ah i fixed it. i went into sign on/off in the preferences menu and clicked connection on the bottom right hand of the window and clicked auto-configure. it found server that worked. changed to login.oscar.aol.com on port 13 instead of port 5190.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/409571

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice