1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is it possible to boot 2 operating systems on 2 hard drives in 1 PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by D. Shadow, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. D. Shadow

D. Shadow Thread Starter

i have a question (well i was wondering)

i have 2 hard drives in one machine and i have Windows 98 on one and the other with Windows XP.
    is it posible to select an OS at start up with the 2 drives??

2. GripS

GripS

3. go4saket

go4saket

Ofcourse... Install Win 98 in any drive that you want and then from Win 98, install Win XP in some other drive. Remember not to choose the upgrade option. Choose the fresh installation option and later choose another drive when asked for. After that whenever you restart your mahine, you will be asked for which OS you want your computer to start in...

4. saikee

saikee

You should seek help from the "operating systems" section of the forum if you don't want to re-install the systems and just modifying the existing XP's NTldr configuration.

I believe going with the XP boot loader NTldr the key steps are (1) put Win98 as the 1st bootable disk, (2) copy the essential system files of NTLDR from XP to Win98 partition and (3) Modifiy the boot.ini to reflect Win98 is an extra booting alternative and the fact XP has been changed to the 2nd disk.

Technically there is no problem as I boot 100+ systems between 4 hard drives, including 3 Dos and 4 Windows. However I use Grub, a boot loader used by Dos 7.10, Linux and Solaris.

My favouraite route is to put the boot loader Grub into Win98 to dual boot the two. You need a Linux CD to obtain Grub though. My suggestion is to install only Grub and not the Linux. I have put Grub in a Win98 partition to boot 5 BSD, 2 Solaris and 3 Linux.

Ntldr is very limited in capability and very messy to implement because boot.ini is a hidden file which must be "unhide" first to edit and then hidden again on completion. In Grub you just edit a text file even booting over 100 systems, including as many MS systems as you can install in the PC.

5. D. Shadow

D. Shadow Thread Starter

with the 2 drives do you still have to set the jumpers for one of them to "slave" and the other to "master" or "cable select" to do this??

6. go4saket

go4saket

Ofcourse you will have to set the jumpers to slave and master, or else your system wont recognize the HDD's.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice