is it possible to format xp without floppy or cd?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thompsano

...the reason i ask is that my cd-rom is not working properly and neither is my floppy drive.
tried to solve those issues under another post, but with no solution as of yet(thanks for your help though zerohour(y) )
so, i am thinking maybe a clean install might be the answer, but without the use of these drives, i just keep going in circles. is this possibble? or do i get out my welding torch and burn this box

thanks

Howdy thompsano...

No...you can't, you need to be able to boot to another medium in order to format and reinstall the OS...

Can you provide a link to the original problem ?

If you have another computer, you could format the drive that way. If there is no other option, you could also make it boo table with FAT32, copy the source files to a directory on the hard drive and install from that directory. But I suspect at some point you are going to need a CD ROM that works.

thompsano

well bob, i tried what you suggested. first i tried my cd drive in my friends computer, and it worked. so i knew the problem wasn't my drive. so i took my hard drive, formatted and re-installed xp in my friends computer successfully, then replaced it back into my computer. when i turned my computer on now, it gets to the xp loading screen, then blue screens telling me unbootable boot volume.
now back to the problem in the beginning, now my computer won't boot, and i still can't boot off my xp cd because the cd drive won't work.
please help someone, starting to get discouraged

thanks

Unless your friend has pretty much all the same hardware, XP doesn't always boot or work when you start switching hard drives like that.

Well...

After looking at the original thread I have to ask a question...

How is the CD-ROM connected to the pc?

In is a slave on IDE 1, or the master on IDE 2?

Also I didn't really suggest installing from another computer. Just use it to format and copy the source files to the hard drive.

thompsano

bob, i missunderstood your suggestion, i didn't mean to imply anything different.
not sure about ide 1 or 2, but i have two harddrives and one cd drive. the harddrive with windows installed and my cd drive are on one ide cable(one to the motherboard, leading next to my harddrive, last in line is the cd drive)
my other harddrive, which contains music and other stuff is on a seperate ide

Ok...

Want you to try a few things...

First go into the BIOS and make sure that the boot order is set to boot from the CD-ROM first, if it is not, change it, if it is, then leave it alone and exit...

A question again, is this a burned copy of XP that you are using ?

If not put the CD in the drive and boot the pc and start tapping the space bar during boot and see if it will boot from the CD-ROM...

If it doesn't, move the CD-rom to the cable that the second hard drive is on and try it again ( if the second hard drive is a Western Digital you will need to post the model, or remove it and make the CD-ROM the Master and leave the hard dive out )...

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
In reality you should really keep your Hard Drives on one IDE channel and your optical devices on another channel. You can slow down the performance of your hard drive by having the cd-rom on the same channel as your system drive.

When your computer boots, can you get to your CMOS screen to see how your devices are configured? Basically you don't want it set as a MASTER since it is currently connected to the same IDE channel as your boot drive.

But at this point, if XP was installed on another computer and the hard drive moved to yours, it's likely the source of the boot problem. Especially since you actually do apparently start the boot process from the hard drive. It just doesn't finish.

An easy test to see if the CD ROM is the cause is to simply disconnect the power to it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online