1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is it possible to get your friends emails?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by $teve, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. $teve

$teve Thread Starter

Wendyth

I have a friend who went to University and got a degree in computers. What exactly I'm not sure. I am taking a course from him because I know very little about computers. Two days ago he Networked my computer with his laptop. He said he needed a disc burned and his burner didn't work very good. He downloaded the files off his laptop on my computer and then burned the disc. Knowing nothing about Networking this was to be a lesson.

This morning before he came over to teach he said to me on the phone "Oh I didn't know you knew so and so that well". We have a mutual friend, more his friend than mine. He's a customer of his and they've become friends. He introduced me to him. The friend is away on holidays with his girlfriend right now. I told him we're not that good of friends why would you say that? What brought him up? He told me the e-mails I sent the friend came to him. We send jokes to each other through e-mail. (the mutual friend and myself) I don't send him any jokes (the teacher friend) because he has a dry sense of humor and would think they're funny.
    What are the odds of that? One in a million that they would go to his address instead of the mutual friends? His e-mail address wasn't on the e-mails at all. He even varified it.

My question is:

1) How possible is this? Why would the friend's e-mails go to him (the teacher)? The address on the e-mails were the mutual friends not the teachers.

2) Did he download things off my computer to snoop?
    (He found out his roomates password and goes into her mail box to read her mail. She is unaware of this.)

3) He put Ghost Logger on my computer so I could monitor where my kids go. They don't go on the computer alot because they don't know to much about it. They are kept very busy with activities and homework. My kids are 9 and 11. Where they go is boring not worth monitoring. I trust my kids and know they aren't going anywhere they shouldn't. He's the one that thought the program would be a good idea. Did he put the program on so he could find my password out for my mailbox?

4) He tells me he could get into my computer if he wanted to from home. But of course why would he want to he told me. I just laugh when he tells me that and say things aren't to exciting on my computer. Is this the way he got into my mailbox?

There are things on my computer I consider private. Not only him, I wouldn't want anyone on my computer to see what I do and get into my files.

5) How did he get those e-mails sent to him?

I don't think he got the e-mails. I think he got into my mailbox and looked threw it. It drove him crazy to see I've been sending the mutual friend jokes. He saw the people I e-mail and his name was on the list. (mutual friends) He asked me about it because it bothered him. He knew I would ask him how he knew about the e-mails. Knowing very little about the computer he didn't think I would question the answer but I did. I dropped it, but thought about it all day.

Someone please tell me if this is at all possible? What are the odds of it happening? I won't rest until I find out.

I can't help but question it. How convienent for him to receive those e-mails!

Waiting for some answers.

Thanks,

2. $teve

$teve Thread Starter

wendy,could you go here: www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/
    and download "startuplist" unzip,run the program and copy paste the resulting text file here.
    i have to go to work now but the guys in here will take a look.

welcome to T.S.G. by the way;)

3. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    $teve:

I sent a report to the moderators for her original post to be moved here. If you start this thread she will not get any e-mail notifications of any replies...

...actually, if this person is not trustworthy, we wouldn't want him to see any e-mails discussing this...Hmmm...what to do!

4. $teve

$teve Thread Starter

yes.....worth thinking about the email thing pc.........what to do........lets leave this as it is for now.
    one of the mods will close it if they need to......;)

ill catch you later.

5. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    ok $teve- take care!

6. Balzac

Balzac Guest

If you gave him access and or file sharing ability he could look at, change anything, and install any spyware imaginable. You can always encrypt your sensitive files and let the snoop dog uber geek have another whirl at it. :D
    Just make sure your systems clean of keyloggers before you do it. Download the spybot and do a virus scan.

PGP http://www.pgp.com/

7. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice