1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it possible to have my laptop battery plugged in and NOT have it charged?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OM2, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

Is it possible to have my laptop battery plugged in and NOT have it charged?

I use it as a desktop most of the time - I normally just take out the battery and use mains
    (The idea behind this is that I don't unecessarily charge and recharge the battery - and therefore prolong the life??)

It would be great if it got to max charge and then dint charge again at all
    OR is this how it works anyway!?

I have a Dell Core 2 Duo laptop that is about 18 months old

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks

OM

2. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

There are a couple of reasons your battery won't charge: bad battery or bad charging circuit on the mother board. If the computer runs off the a/c adapter, then the adapter is OK. Your battery will last longer if it goes through regular discharging and charging cycle.

3. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

oh... so ur saying if i don't use a battery (that often because i use the laptop as a desktop machine), then that's bad for it??
    that doesn't make sense to me

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/960047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice