1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it possible to have only headers and not Footers (Word 2003)

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by toxterthogrady, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toxterthogrady

toxterthogrady Thread Starter

Hi

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but Ive looked everywhere cant find the answer.

Is there anyway to have just a header in a document and not a footer?

I know you can have different headers/footers on each page etc and you can leave the footer empty and change how far it is away from the edge of the page but I cant seem to find a way of just inserting a header and no footer at all.

Any help will be accreciated its driving me mad

2. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    If you use the Help function < F1 > it will tell you all

3. toxterthogrady

Ive have actually tried the help option and searched the web, other fourums etc.

And sorry if Im being extremely stupid but I cant find out how just to have a header but no footer without manually amending it.

Can anyone tell me the steps how to do this - thanks

4. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    When you open the header or footer you can delete the footer

Further more there is an optionthere that tells you if you want if on the odd pages only, even pages only, first page.
    I agree it's not that straight forward but it's there.
    I don't have the exact instructions for you and I got it from the Help option too.
    Trial and error is a method too but make sure you've backedup your file

5. toxterthogrady

Thanks for your quick response - I just tried that but it still leaves the box at the bottom of the page. Is there anyway of deleting this?

I will explain what I am trying to do. I am adding a header to a document already typed of about 6 pages and I have text to nearly the bottom of page when I am inserting the H/F the footer is pushing the bottom bit of text on to the next page.

So I am then having to manually reduce the font size to one and reduce the size of the footer box, go in to page setup and set the distance from the edge to 0, to enable it all to fit back on the page. So I was wondering if there was a way of having no footer box at all.

6. letchworth

letchworth

The version of Word that I have on this machine is an older version that I keep around for times when "only MSOffice will do" - but I see your problem- the box is still there even if empty.

My usual program for working with .doc files is Open Office [or LibreOffice, the new fork in the OpenOffice lineage]. Either one will allow you to create or delete either Headers or Footers independent of each other and would make quick work of what you are trying to do. In OpenOffice goto <Edit><Headers and Footers> and make the appropriate selections.

Both OpenOffice and LibreOffice are Free and Open Source programs. And all future updates are free as well. So all it will take is a chunk of HardDrive real estate and you will have the freedom of choice- and the output files are compatible with the Microsoft product.

I hope this helps
    letchworth

7. toxterthogrady

Thanks Ill will try Openoffice I have a copy of it that I have never used.

8. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    Well, that's true the reserved space is always there.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice