1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is it possible to hook up sbc dsl to router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fdlkid2, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fdlkid2

fdlkid2 Thread Starter

hi, I just switched from cable to dsl and i read from other internet articles that you cant hook up a router to dsl. so im wondering if its possible and if so how?

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Unless the modem is one of the models that is also a router ( two wire is for sure) you hook it up just like the cable modem was . . you can call SBC and they will tell you if your modem is also a router.

If so, post back . . you can make some changes to the router to allow it to work with the SBC modem/router

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

As long as the router has Ethernet capability, you can use it with a router. If you have a modem with a NAT layer (mini-router), the easiest way to deal with it is to put the real router into the DMZ of the modem and configure the router normally.

4. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

You have to alter your router configuration. Inside the router, cable would typically use "Obtain IP Automatically," whereas a DSL (especially SBC) use PPOE. Once you select PPOE, you will have to enter in your username and password for you DSL connection. That should provide your network with DSL Internet Access through the router. Also, once you do that, you can then remove any DSL software from your computer because you will no longer need it to sign in to your connection. The router will keep you signed in from that point forward.

I hope this makes sense.....

5. JohnWill

If has a modem/router, and I think at the computer end, he's going to be presented with a more generic interface. The PPPoE will be handled before the routing function of the router. OTOH, if it's a plain DSL modem, you are correct. :)

I guess we'll have to wait for a clarification of what equipment he has.

6. fdlkid2

fdlkid2 Thread Starter

i figured it out, thanks

7. JohnWill

Mind sharing the solution? We all learn by how problems get solved here. :)

8. fdlkid2

fdlkid2 Thread Starter

you just hook it up like cable..

9. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Yeah, I just hooked up two of my clients on SBC dsl. The modem was a mini router as well. Setup the username and password on the modem and hooked the router into the ethernet port on the modem. No problems at all.

10. JohnWill

Thanks. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/347943