1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it possible to monitor your business from your home?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wgreene, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

What would it take for me to be able to visually monitor my business from my home? I already have an on-premise ADT system monitoring my business. I am online at home but not at the business. The ADT rep told me he thought I should be able somehow to go through my ISP (Comcast) in order to set up a system which would allow me to monitor my business from my house. Would I also need to be online at my business? Would I need to have my own website in order to be able to receive images at home? If it's possible to do what I'm asking, approximately how much would it cost?

For what it's worth, my home and my business are 17 miles apart. They are across the river from each other and in different states, although I don't think this would make any difference.

I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who might have an answer.

2. ViprXX

ViprXX

I don't know much about security systems but I think your business would need to be online and there might be software that will allow you to remotely monitor your business. also, are you trying to monitor camera's and how many?

3. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Thanks you very much for your reply.

There are three cameras to be monitored.

I read at a commercial tech website recently that I would have to be online at my business and that a software program would be needed. I assume it would be impossible to do otherwise. Also, I would want streaming video, but the site mentioned refreshing once every minute.

Anyhow, I believe such a set-up would be too expensive for me to consider. Thanks again.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you want to use the Internet to access cameras located at your business, then obviously the business needs to be connected to the Internet.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

What DoubleHelix posted. And Google for "video over IP". There are several devices available that will let you hook up multiple cameras and transmit video over the Internet. You can store the video on a PC at the work location (remote logon), or have it transmit the video to a web file storage site (my ISP gives me 40MB of space).

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have broadband at both locations, the cost shouldn't be excessive.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590172

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice