1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it possible to recover a Formatted Drive?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by muckmail, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

Is it possable to recover the files from a formatted drive.
    The drive was formatted with partition Magic 7.0 .
    Any software download out their that might do that?
    Thank you,

2. bp936

bp936

As far as I have read it in this and other forums, once formatted, files cannot be recovered.
    Apparently some companies sell programs that claim, they can recover files, but I have never heard from anyone, that this is possible.
    You should always backup your files on an external drive.

3. hulkinator

hulkinator

It depends on the type of format you have done. If you did a "Full Format" your data is probably gone without paying somebody to get it back (with the right tools you can recover data from a full format). However, if all you did was a "Quick Format", you have a good chance of recovering it. Quick Format just wipes out the Master File Table and designates all of your drive as free space, but it doesn't write zeroes to those locations like a Full Format does.

If you did something like a Quick Format, try out TestDisk. It's free. I'd read through some tutorials on the site; they are quite helpful.
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

4. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I guess the best thing to do is to see what recovery software people suggest
    and try it and see if it works?

So I am open for suggestions.

Thank you,

5. hulkinator

hulkinator

If you are careful you can't ruin anything with the recovery software. If you have an OS on another drive that can access the formatted one you can just install and run TestDisk inside Windows or any OS. Otherwise TestDisk is a part of the Ultimate Boot CD (www.ultimatebootcd.com). If you need help burning the UBCD let us know!

On the side I'd like to emphasize bp936's advice to back up your data. Restoring a backup is much easier and far less risky than recovering a deleted/formatted partition!

6. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

All I get is form recover download is *.dll files and other files I have never seen
    on the drive before. I guess data I want is lost??

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
  8. slurpee55

slurpee55

And, there are some expensive companies out there that can recover a lot of data, even if you did a full format, but they are pros and, from what I hear, VERY expensive.

9. hulkinator

hulkinator

muckmail- which program did you use to try and recover your files? The more details you can give us about what you see and do, the better!

Again TestDisk may be able to read the drive, and if it does see the files, you most certainly can use it to get them off. Free software the whole way through.

10. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I tryed the Test Program above.
    I tryed File scavanger which gave all the dll files.

Thank you,

11. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I think I will try the testDisk program again sometime tonight. This is a data
    second data disk that is used with xp. Is not a boot disk. The version of
    testdisk that I used seemed like it was a dos version or something.
    Will check it out again.
    Thank you,

12. hulkinator

hulkinator

There are DOS and Windows versions of TestDisk (I believe). However the Windows versions are console programs, meaning they run in the "black box" that people often associate with only 16-bit DOS programs. You will just have to be flexible and use the keyboard instead of the mouse.

13. valis

valis Moderator

yup. We've got a forensics company we use in litigation cases where the drive has been wiped (usually with D-BAN), and they charge a pretty penny indeed. Seen in few in 5 figures.

14. slurpee55

slurpee55

Figures you would know this kind of scary stuff from experience, valis!
    When my son worked for an insurance company in their IT dept, in order to make sure all confidential data was destroyed, after they did a full format, they would pull the hard drives, expose them to strong magnets (really strong industrial magnets), then heat them almost red hot, then smash them up with hammers and finally saw them open and break up the innards that remained. That was what they considered necessary. So, yeah, data is more recoverable than one would think, but it takes work!
    Me, I just run DOD erasures over the same areas several time, if I can...sloppy.

15. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I used TestDisk above but only got files and directories that was not my orginal
    files. The dir & files that it found I did not reconized. I don't know if I made the correct
    choices using TestDisk. Looks like that the data is gone.

Thank you,

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!