Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is it possible to recover Data from Scratched Disk?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  cornemuse 
#1 ·
Hello:
There is a scratched disk which I have no idea why the scratched happened. Also, disk did not finalize on my DVD recorder.

Is it possible to recover Data from a scratched disk?
Or, if it's not possible, is there a good program for this issue? Because, there are several programs on-line, however which program is good for a non-expert DVD issue along with computer's?

Any help on this issue would be truly appreciated.

Thanks,

#3 ·
A scratch on a disk can sometimes be repaired with white toothpaste.
1. The toothpaste can not be gel, it has to be white. (not whitening toothpaste just ordinary white paste)
2. Wipe the toothpaste on from the center straight of the disk out to the edge. Do not use a circular motion!
3. With a soft cloth (my husband's old worn out tee shirts are perfect for this) wipe off any excess toothpaste. Again be sure it is a straight line from center to edge or edge to center.

Try the disk in the computer drive and see if it reads any of the data.

If it wouldn't be a data disk, you'd first have to finalize the disk to read anything.

#6 ·
What I've done for years is 1st rinse the disk in cold water, wash my hands, squirt liquid dish soap on disk, (heres where I differ) wash/rub in a circular motion with palm of my hand, rinse with cold water, only for a short time, dry with something soft & clean, tee shirt back, I use the 'butt' part of my old knickers!!
The soap makes the water 'wetter', it fills the scratchs deeper, being colder, it dosent rinse away as readily, it curves & does not appear as such a large scratch. Copy disk quickly as the water will evaporate soon, those disks get warm inside the cd-roms, time you take 'em out.

If this doesnt work, only thing is polishing out the scratches. I use compound specifically for scratched cd's I have ½ a tube left & they dont sell it anymore. Its like rubbing compound for automobile paint scratches, tho much finer. Now I 'polish' 'center to edge'.
After this the cd's/dvd's look totally ruined, but very fine scratches perpendiclar to 'data' 'groove' are not the same problem as (generally) longer parallel scratches on disks.
Movie cd/dvd/blueray player software will 'skip' bad scratches pretty quickly, you hardly notice, but cdrom drives dont, they (as you know) give you error messages.

My last resort is a really really old Toshiba laptop with XP home os that will read a disk that nothing else will read, if it wont, its time to give up.

-c-

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.