1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it possible to run Win 7 w/I5-9600 under Linux/VMWare?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Waskel, Apr 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Waskel

Waskel Thread Starter

I'm planning to upgrade (tho my E8400 has been a workhorse for many years!).
    I plan to move to a I5-9600, Gigabyte z390 AORUS, but I still have Win7 programs I need for work (VPN, term emulator, ect) that may not work with Vine.
    I know Win7 can't be installed as the OS on a gen9 I5, but has anyone tried installing it as a virtual VMWare under Linux (such as Mint)?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

I think Oracle Virtual Box works. Tried it long time ago. And it's free.

3. Waskel

Waskel Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, but it's not a question of which virtualization package works under linux, it's whether or not win7 will work properly when virtualized on a 9th gen I5.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

I think VM's present a virtualized CPU for the guest. So since Virtual Box has a preset to set up Win 7 as a guest, then it must work. Takes 20 mins to find out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!