1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is It Possible To Turn Portable Mono Mini-Speakers To Stereo?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Boris_yo, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boris_yo

Boris_yo Thread Starter

Lately i have seen small palm-sized portable speakers for sale and learned that they can be "daisy-chained" together for better sound. This however still makes them sound mono with 1 channel. But people are stating that these speakers can recreate stereo and playback in 2 channels (left and right) if connected to 3.5mm stereo to mono channel splitter cable which looks like this:

[​IMG]

So i am asking if somebody had personal experience with this and correct me if i wrote something wrongly? I am not sure if stereo in particular gets recreated since somebody mentioned pseudo-stereo but i have not idea what he meant when we talked and you can see conversation here (zoom-in if needed)

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    If the Source ... Your Computer ??? ... Is playing stereo .. That will work

3. Boris_yo

Boris_yo Thread Starter

The source is laptop, walkman or smartphone that playback digital music.

4. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    If the output connection is a Ring, Tip, Sleeve (3 wire) stereo connector ... and the sound is in stereo (2 channel) ....
    The splitter cable will work to split the Stereo source .. Into two mono channels ..
    one for the left .. the other for the right channel

5. Boris_yo

Boris_yo Thread Starter

Ring, Tip, Sleeve? What do you mean? The output is laptop's common headphone output where i connect speaker's 3.5mm jack to. This is the speaker i am talking about.

6. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
  7. Boris_yo

Boris_yo Thread Starter

No it is little portable mono speaker of less than a palm size. Splitter has 3.5mm jack as audio input and splits into 3.5mm 2 females which can be connected with 3.5mm speaker's jack audio input.

8. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    I really doubt that speaker is Mono.
    The splitter you showed will convert the stereo to mono .. for both channels.
    It converts the 3 wire stereo .. to (2) 2 wire mono connectors.

9. Boris_yo

Boris_yo Thread Starter

Amazon buyers say it is mono.

10. jimi

jimi

the male connector in the initial post is divided into 3 areas, tip, ring, sleeve called a TRS connector. 1 area is common ground, the other 2 are left and right - but those can be the same if the cable is balanced mono, but they do make a unbalanced stereo that looks exactly the same.

read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector

and there are no mono speakers they reproduce the signal sent to them

11. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    Not some of the reviews I read ???????
    They will be mono if you plug them into your Splitter.
    2 speakers that close to together will sound like mono .. Unless your nose is right against the speaker :D :D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice