1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it possible to upgrade my dual-core to i5, or other quad-core processors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigtree, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigtree

bigtree Thread Starter

Is it possible to change the dual core processor I have for an i5 processor, is this type of motherboard capable of taking it? I have some screen captures from CPUID of my system specs, hopefully that will be enough info. If it can't take the i5 could it take any other quad-core processor?

I have a Compaq Pressario desktop PC, Windows 7 64 bit, 4GB DDR3 RAM.

Thanks

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Unfortunately you cannot upgrade to the i5 processors as you have a Socket 775 motherboard and they require a 1156 or 1155 motherboard socket.

Jack-O-Bytes

3. bigtree

bigtree Thread Starter

Ah darn, Would it be able to take the other quad-core processors made by brands other than intel?

I believe that intel make make the i5??

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

To tell that you would really need to open up the case and have a look at the model number on the main motherboard in the computer. That way you can see if you can find the CPU support list on the internet and see if it will take quad cores. You may also want to consider looking at what PSU is in that computer to see if it will be able to handle the higher wattages needed by a quad core CPU

Jack-O-Bytes

5. GeforceGT210

GeforceGT210

6. bigtree

bigtree Thread Starter

Right, interesting info, so is that Core 2 quad a propper full quad core?

7. GeforceGT210

GeforceGT210

It's a decent quad core. The Core 2 series are going to reach the day where they become obsolete pretty soon though, considering the i5 quad cores completely smoke them in all benchmarks. How many watts is your power supply?

8. bigtree

bigtree Thread Starter

I believe it is 300 w

9. GeforceGT210

GeforceGT210

Your power supply probably won't have enough power for the new CPU but you can always try it and if it doesn't work return it.

10. bigtree

bigtree Thread Starter

right, I'm trying to decide wether to do this or upgrade the PC... so would I then have to upgrade the power supply also I guess that's fiddly and expensive too?

I fear that only the i5 will do the thing I need though..

11. GeforceGT210

GeforceGT210

At this point it's better to just build your own new computer or upgrade your power supply. I build all my PCs myself because big box companies like Compaq, HP, and Dell put the smallest PSU possible in their computers, making it difficult if you're upgrading anything that's not the RAM.

12. bigtree

bigtree Thread Starter

Right, OK I am learning a lot, thanks very much Geforce and Jack-o!

Very hepful!

13. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

GeforceGT210 do you know that that exact CPU is supported by the motherboard that is in his computer?

Jack-O-Bytes

14. GeforceGT210

GeforceGT210

As long as they use the same socket, they should work. My ASUS M2N-MX SE PLUS motherboard in my older computer for Athlon 64s works with my Athlon II processor, even though it's not on the supported list.

15. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Well yeah but that is still silly to suggest really. I put a more modern AMD cpu into a motherboard that needed a simple BIOS update and I had all sorts of overheating problems. There is also a fair chance that on a system like that they will have matched the CPU wattage draw to the amount that the board can supply to save money on the motherboard. This means that the motherboard in that computer will most likely be only built to support 65w which is enough for the current CPU but the one you suggested runs at 95w so there is a fair chance that it will also over run the VRM on the motherboard and break it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1004497

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice