1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it possible to upgrade my processor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Saito_Chikara, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Saito_Chikara

Saito_Chikara Thread Starter

Simply Put.
    Is it possible to upgrade my processor? I haven't taken my PC apart yet, but I don't know exactly where to look to find my processor. And I don't know if it can be upgraded or not.

I do a lot of graphics work and my PC really needs a boost, so upgrading from a P4 to a Dual-core or a Quad would be a helpful step. I just hope I don't need to buy and install (if I could :/) a new motherboard. (If that is applicable)

Thanks

~Saito

2. midders

midders Account Closed

Open the case of your PC and find out the make and model of your motherboard (or check you manual if you have one). This can usually be found printed somewhere on the board itself. Stick that into google to find the documention and hence the processors that are supported by your mobo.

To get a significant boost you'll probably need a new mobo, CPU, more RAM and a faster hard drive (10/15k rpm).

Slainte

midders

3. Saito_Chikara

Saito_Chikara Thread Starter

Belarc Report:

Processor a
    3.07 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    16 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Not hyper-threaded

Main Circuit Board b
    Board: Intel Corporation D915GLVG AAC96367-306
    Serial Number: F**********9
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Intel Corp. VG91510A.86A.0048.2005.0722.1031 07/22/2005

4. replay

replay

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/873938