1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it possible to view a .dat file

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by mjed0, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mjed0

mjed0 Thread Starter

I am having a problem viewing photo's sent to me by my father. When he sends them by e-mail something happens to them and they become .dat files although they start out as .jpg's

I live very far away from him and cannot access his PC to see whats up, furthermore he is elderly and it's been painstaking to try to resolve this issue over the phone and by email. His knowledge of computers isnt very strong either.

I know they start out as .jpg's because the title of each e-mail will be something like "Emailing: paul 062, paul 063, paul 064.jpg" . Once I click on the e-mail the attachment file names are different, example: "ATT00012.dat" and the file size is like 44.6kb, which is rather small. Another thing worth noting is that when he sends them I end up getting 20-30 duplicate copies of the same email (one time it was just over 100), yet he says he sent once. Any e-mails he sends that have no attachments come singular as they rightly should.

He has sent photo's in the past and they have come in a typical .jpg format. I'm not sure if he's having an Outlook Express issue or perhaps he's doing the process slightly different. I'm hoping someone here can make some sense of it and let me know, it would be of great help!

Thanks,
    Dan

2. prodsupptech

prodsupptech

The ATT...dat is most likely your antivirus software blocking out the pictures due to size or even thinking them as spam. If your Dad can zip up the photos or change extension before sending they should come through.

3. mjed0

mjed0 Thread Starter

Hmmmmm, here I'm only concentrating on problems at his end. I'm running AVG so that could be the problem. In all this we had him try sending to my web mail (gmail) and I get the same title indicating .jpg files but when I open it all I get is a huge block of text in the body of the email.

Here is an example.....

5qJiIZdsC5kjb+EZ+XuP/r1pvJCIyIyr3g4Qs3yj6mgDIjWSzfdKT5q/Nh+cZ6ihJRIqiJczk70b
    oevc0ryy325JEAcgMMdSOmc0gia0dRIVVFxgdd1AFhNMgkVbiZgkuOI/75HWq0t1CruJSUCEmMHs
    D2rTntRcSG4l42AkoGwX9MVl3sL3Tq/lruHDL2FMBWnygkRsSYyVH8Q9KdNZPflJAP3yZMoPCMOw
    A9arw2jW8ZeQj5MsCe3tW1bf6amLZmiETBzgcNx96kIy7VlyIoy0cYBJZuCR6Gp1dbVGeAEg/KzH
    oy+tR6lcQztCkcRdhnKg9cd81TkSUtujGE5ICnrQPYs3NuZwTZq20EnYDknjrVTzfJmjGxZLggFS
    PuH6+4q6RItoJ7fHm4+cL/D9BTLyMRW4ljG2bOZAv8Ppin0ENkkeCLzRLmQE7wx45qtPFHPbiWzJ
    zgLIe4JpsbFjGsuAvds5JPvWnbRJbwNd2q5dQRsPb3I9KA32KenrbxQyNddc7ih6uO+KmmkJmMqK
    XjIx5YPITt+NMuIhKv24qecfKxxz3P0qlJK0UrRDO+QblIPygZ9afoL1C+RsebBwzjgL0UdOfepd
    PJbcZZAqpgPt6Ed8epqzpcO6Tzt6mNSS4I6j0HrVS9gSWPz4AQiklkA4VjT3AvXd3uISXAtBwGHB

The block of text is many times this size, I only copied and pasted a short bit to save space. With the thought of it being my AV, could it also be Gmail's AV doing this as well? Also, I've tried forwarding it to other web based email accounts (Yahoo, MSN) to no avail.

4. prodsupptech

prodsupptech

What are the names of the files that are being sent? I'm an avid ammy photographer and I'm always emailing photos. I only get the .dat when I've sent to wrong person, picture is to large, or email looks like spam.

Does your dad have you on his address book? How are your files named? what are the subjects of your emails, etc.

5. mrss

mrss Guest

Can you get JPG's from other people? Can your dad see JPEG's you send him? Send a small JPG to yourself and see if it's readable. Your dad should try sending one back to himself too.

6. wilson44512

wilson44512

when you download them do you change the file name? if so dont change it until its already on your pc. some time when i used to download them the name was something like a number (000119)
    so i changed the name before i would download them. and then i couldnt see the picture. so i waitee till i put them on my pc before i changed the name

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698881

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice